MrMark

Default Concrete Section Garage

Hi All.

I have a 4 year old concrete section garage which I'm trying to make water
tight.

I have two problems.

1, When it rains, droplets of water form on the underside of the garage
roof. The roof is made of a corrugated construction. I'm guessing iron...
2, Again when it rains, water is seeping underneath some of the panels.

From what I have read, it looks as though the roof may have become pours.
Therefore I plan to seal it. With what, I'm not yet sure.

With regards to the panels. I have put a fillet of mortar around the bottom
of the panels on the outside. However, this has only slowed down the water
seeping in.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve the two problems and the best
product to use.

Many thanks.

Mark S.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:33:07 GMT, "MrMark" wrote:

Hi All.

I have a 4 year old concrete section garage which I'm trying to make water
tight.

I have two problems.

1, When it rains, droplets of water form on the underside of the garage
roof. The roof is made of a corrugated construction. I'm guessing iron...
2, Again when it rains, water is seeping underneath some of the panels.

From what I have read, it looks as though the roof may have become pours.
Therefore I plan to seal it. With what, I'm not yet sure.

With regards to the panels. I have put a fillet of mortar around the bottom
of the panels on the outside. However, this has only slowed down the water
seeping in.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve the two problems and the best
product to use.

Many thanks.

When mine had been up a week I went around all the panels and the
concrete "fillet" with some sealant and resealed the lot, then spray
foamed around the edge of the roof.

Painted the floor about 4 times with garage floor paint and painted
the walls with white emulsion as well to make it less dingy.

Still had condensation from the metal roof but never got around to
insulating it to stop that. :-)

Mark S.

Paul King

MrMark wrote:
Hi All.

I have a 4 year old concrete section garage which I'm trying to make
water tight.

I have two problems.

1, When it rains, droplets of water form on the underside of the
garage roof. The roof is made of a corrugated construction. I'm
guessing iron... 2, Again when it rains, water is seeping underneath
some of the panels.

From what I have read, it looks as though the roof may have become
pours. Therefore I plan to seal it. With what, I'm not yet sure.

With regards to the panels. I have put a fillet of mortar around the
bottom of the panels on the outside. However, this has only slowed
down the water seeping in.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve the two problems and the best
product to use.

Many thanks.

Hmmm. Is this water seepage or air condensation now that the weather is
getting cold? If you are CONVINCED that its water seepage/porous roof, I'd
be inclined to suffer it until the spring/summer then remove the roof
cladding and fit a damp-proof membrane over the supports before refitting
the cladding. If th's air condensation then the above remedy won't work -
it'll still "rain" on the inside due to lack of ventilation

I'm surprised that corrugated iron would rust so much in 4 years to become
porous - but there again I don't know your location.

If the construction IS corrugated iron, and you decide to remove the
cladding to do what I suggested, then I'd be inclined to replace the
cladding with zinc plated corrugated iron - otherwise you'll be doing this
again when the old stuff rusts further

Ensure that you seal around all roof fixings thoroughly to prevent water
ingress (which may be what you are suffering from in the first place come to
think of it - failed seals on the roof fixings).

Attached Images

diynovice

Thanks guys.

Paul,

I'm not sure the roof is corrugated iron as there is no sign of any rust. It
actually looks like a sort of cement colour!!! Any ideas???

I can confirm however that there are leaks around the fixing screws of the
corrugated sheeting. Although having said that, when it rains the whole roof
is covered in water droplets. But when I turn the lights on they soon dry
out. That said, it could be condensation!!!

If condensation is the cause, I would have thought that there was enough
ventilation, as there is a gap between the concrete wall panels and the roof
at one end of the garage.

I'm contemplating painting the entire roof on the outside with a water based
sealer that I found at B&Q. Aquaseal I think it's called. They did a roof
sealer and something called liquid felt. Then sealing around the fixing
screws with roof and gutter sealant. Do you think that would fix it?

With regards to the seepage underneath the panels, I'm planning on stripping
off the old sealant on the inside, then re sealing and also putting a fillet
of cement on the inside. Then I'll paint the floor with some kind of
concrete sealer. Any ideas of any good floor paints?

Cheers Mark

"Paul King" wrote in message
MrMark wrote:
Hi All.

I have a 4 year old concrete section garage which I'm trying to make
water tight.

I have two problems.

1, When it rains, droplets of water form on the underside of the
garage roof. The roof is made of a corrugated construction. I'm
guessing iron... 2, Again when it rains, water is seeping underneath
some of the panels.

From what I have read, it looks as though the roof may have become
[...]

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , diynovice
wrote:

Has anyone any other Ideas?

diynovice

Thanks for that Andy. Although not sure what was wrong with the layout in
the first place...

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , diynovice
wrote:

Has anyone any other Ideas?