Barry S.

Default TV RF Section Failure?

My RCA TV appears to have "lost" some channels.

Most channels are OK. Cable Channels 48, 49, 50 are wiped out.
Channel 65/66 experiences intereference from over the air channel 14..
Other channels that I know I should get seem to be ok, including those
that might be effected by other OTA channels. RCA input video is ok
so I surmise it's an RF problem.

Here is the RF section:

http://www.mailsack.org/tvrf.jpg

Is there a way to open it, service it, replace (guess I could desolder
it), tune it, etc?

Thanks!

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0
Art

Post at least the chassis (CTC) number, we surmise you may have one of the
sets with the notorious on board tuner that requires service but can not be
sure without the chassis number, or the model number.
"Barry S." wrote in message
My RCA TV appears to have "lost" some channels.

Most channels are OK. Cable Channels 48, 49, 50 are wiped out.
Channel 65/66 experiences intereference from over the air channel 14..
Other channels that I know I should get seem to be ok, including those
that might be effected by other OTA channels. RCA input video is ok
so I surmise it's an RF problem.

Here is the RF section:

http://www.mailsack.org/tvrf.jpg

Is there a way to open it, service it, replace (guess I could desolder
it), tune it, etc?

Thanks!

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with

'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0

RonKZ650

Post at least the chassis (CTC) number, we surmise you may have one of the
sets with the notorious on board tuner that requires service but can not be
sure without the chassis number, or the model number.

By the picture it's a CTC176 probably. You need to take the shield off the
bottom of the tuner, carefully resolder all the bad connections around the
edges and on the grounds in the center. Also the small IC that stands
vertically CXA1594L or RCA 215532 is probably bad.
David

Look up the information in the repairfaq for the ctc177 series
chassis.
It is highly unlikley you have the equipment available or experience
working on surface mount tuned rf circuits to do any kind of repair
inside the tuner.

It is not a replaceable part, but gets repaired to the component level
and requires extreme care, lots of experience to avoid further damage.
I would definitely recommend taking the tv into someone with lots of
experience on that series of chassis that has all the reuqired
equipment (including a 125 channel cable tv tuner signal generator).
Worst case repair should still be under $120 total parts and labor,
typical average $80-90.

David

Barry S. wrote in message . ..
My RCA TV appears to have "lost" some channels.

Most channels are OK. Cable Channels 48, 49, 50 are wiped out.
Channel 65/66 experiences intereference from over the air channel 14..
Other channels that I know I should get seem to be ok, including those
that might be effected by other OTA channels. RCA input video is ok
so I surmise it's an RF problem.

Here is the RF section:

http://www.mailsack.org/tvrf.jpg

Is there a way to open it, service it, replace (guess I could desolder
it), tune it, etc?

Thanks!

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0

Barry S.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 06:23:40 -0400, "Art"
wrote:

Post at least the chassis (CTC) number, we surmise you may have one of the
sets with the notorious on board tuner that requires service but can not be
sure without the chassis number, or the model number.

Sorry, thought it was on the RF module labels..

Chassis: CTC176F2
Model: F20352SF

My RCA TV appears to have "lost" some channels.

Most channels are OK. Cable Channels 48, 49, 50 are wiped out.
Channel 65/66 experiences intereference from over the air channel 14..
Other channels that I know I should get seem to be ok, including those
that might be effected by other OTA channels. RCA input video is ok
so I surmise it's an RF problem.

Here is the RF section:

http://www.mailsack.org/tvrf.jpg

Is there a way to open it, service it, replace (guess I could desolder
it), tune it, etc?

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0

David

Read the FAQ at www.repairfaq.org before doing anything.

Tuners are not always replaceable any more. Hence the $200 new price on the
tv set. The less modular the tv, the lower they can sell it. You should
have at least seen this on the big box store computers, everything is on the
motherboard, making add ons and expansion more of a pain.

As to removing the lower shield. Whatever you do DO NOT PRY the shield off
by placing a screwdriver against the circuit board under the shield. This
is one sure way to damage surface mount components under the can.

The other suggestion, pull the board and bottom plastic frame, and send it
off to PTS for a rebuild, check with them for the price.

FYI if the tuner grounds are not fixed soon, you will not have a tv to watch
as the eeprom will be corrupted and the tv will be dead. The cable box or
VCR as a tuner is not a good option on those sets even as a temporary "fix".

David

"Barry S." wrote in message
On 11 Aug 2004 10:25:34 -0700, (David) wrote:

Look up the information in the repairfaq for the ctc177 series
chassis.
It is highly unlikley you have the equipment available or experience
working on surface mount tuned rf circuits to do any kind of repair
inside the tuner.

Equipment, probably not. I don't have access to a SMT rework station,
spectum analyzer, or signal generator at this time. (Engineer no
longer working in the field..) I would think on a consumer appl like
this, the tuner unit itself would simply be replaced.

It is not a replaceable part, but gets repaired to the component level
and requires extreme care, lots of experience to avoid further damage.
I would definitely recommend taking the tv into someone with lots of
experience on that series of chassis that has all the reuqired
equipment (including a 125 channel cable tv tuner signal generator).
Worst case repair should still be under $120 total parts and labor,
typical average $80-90.

The TV was $200, NEW!!!

Sounds like it's getting a cable box and either repaired when I have
access to rework equipment or simply disposed of..

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with

'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0

Barry S.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:40:21 -0500, "David"
wrote:

Read the FAQ at www.repairfaq.org before doing anything.

Ah, a lot of very useful info on the RCA tuner!

Tuners are not always replaceable any more. Hence the $200 new price on the
tv set. The less modular the tv, the lower they can sell it. You should
have at least seen this on the big box store computers, everything is on the
motherboard, making add ons and expansion more of a pain.

Humph! It looks modular, but what you say wouldn't surprise me.. The
more I read, the more the TV sounds disposable.

As to removing the lower shield. Whatever you do DO NOT PRY the shield off
by placing a screwdriver against the circuit board under the shield. This
is one sure way to damage surface mount components under the can.

Whats the correct way to remove the lower shield? It sounds like its
nearly impossible to "align/fix" the things without surface mount
soldering equipment, the appropriate EEPROM programmer, software,
signal generator, and maybe a spectrum analyzer.

The other suggestion, pull the board and bottom plastic frame, and send it
off to PTS for a rebuild, check with them for the price.

PTS? Not familiar with them..

FYI if the tuner grounds are not fixed soon, you will not have a tv to watch
as the eeprom will be corrupted and the tv will be dead. The cable box or
VCR as a tuner is not a good option on those sets even as a temporary "fix".

Then it sounds like I'll just have to wait until it dies and spend
another $200 and hope it last longer than 6 years.. About $33 a year,
I guess it could be worse!