Barry S.

Default TV RF Section Failure?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:40:21 -0500, "David"
wrote:

Read the FAQ at www.repairfaq.org before doing anything.

Ah, a lot of very useful info on the RCA tuner!

Tuners are not always replaceable any more. Hence the $200 new price on the
tv set. The less modular the tv, the lower they can sell it. You should
have at least seen this on the big box store computers, everything is on the
motherboard, making add ons and expansion more of a pain.

Humph! It looks modular, but what you say wouldn't surprise me.. The
more I read, the more the TV sounds disposable.

As to removing the lower shield. Whatever you do DO NOT PRY the shield off
by placing a screwdriver against the circuit board under the shield. This
is one sure way to damage surface mount components under the can.

Whats the correct way to remove the lower shield? It sounds like its
nearly impossible to "align/fix" the things without surface mount
soldering equipment, the appropriate EEPROM programmer, software,
signal generator, and maybe a spectrum analyzer.

The other suggestion, pull the board and bottom plastic frame, and send it
off to PTS for a rebuild, check with them for the price.

PTS? Not familiar with them..

FYI if the tuner grounds are not fixed soon, you will not have a tv to watch
as the eeprom will be corrupted and the tv will be dead. The cable box or
VCR as a tuner is not a good option on those sets even as a temporary "fix".

Then it sounds like I'll just have to wait until it dies and spend
another $200 and hope it last longer than 6 years.. About $33 a year,
I guess it could be worse!

Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0