Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AA battery hack secret

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surprised.../
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle writes:

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surpris
ed.../

Confuses silver oxide with alkaline cells.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Confuses silver oxide with alkaline cells.

I just replaced the battery in my garage door opener remote,
so retrieved it from the recycle bin. It's a Radio Shack,
and says Alkaline on the side of the case. And sure enough,
it has a bunch of smaller button batteries inside.

So, are these alkaline button cells? Or is the case marking
purposely misleading? Wish these were A76 compatible, my
HP27S has a healthy appetite for them seeing as I never
remember to turn it off myself.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
So, are these alkaline button cells? Or is the case marking purposely
misleading? Wish these were A76 compatible, my HP27S has a healthy
appetite for them seeing as I never remember to turn it off myself.

Is this the same series as the 28S? A guy at work gave me his
when he got tired of buying the special batteries (3) that it
uses. He told me they were 3, 3 V cells. I determined that
wasn't right, the calculator works fine on roughly 5V. I bought
a 4-cell Ni-Cad pack from Digi-Key (4.8 V) and recharge it a
couple times a year. But, if I forget to charge it, it runs the
cells down to zero and ruins them. So, now I added a switch to
turn off the battery when I'm not using it. It erases all
memory in the calculator when I do that, but I don't save any
programs in the thing, and actually have only programmed it
once, just to see how. If I want programs, I have real
computers for that.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Not familiar with the 28S, but a quick search reveals the
28S is RPN where mine is not.

I have considered making a special base for this that would
take larger rechargeable batteries, but I have way too many
projects now.

I do have a number of programs in mine. Often when changing
batteries I'll lose all the programs. But this is hit or
miss. I've gotten old ones out and new ones installed in
just a few seconds, and lost everything. I've fumbled the
three A76s, taking some 10-15 seconds, and the programs are
still there!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article 4u9Ji.107$Nn4.38@trnddc02,
Randy Replogle wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surprised.../

So, has anybody verified this? Or is it another prank?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surprised.../

So, has anybody verified this? Or is it another prank?

Lots of discussion. Lots of no answers. Lots of theories. As
Mythbusters would say, "plausible".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dom Dom is offline

Randy Replogle wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surprised.../

So, has anybody verified this? Or is it another prank?

Lots of discussion. Lots of no answers. Lots of theories. As
Mythbusters would say, "plausible".

Just a word of warning...

I took apart a (10 year old, completely dead) 9v battery this morning & as
stated there seemed to be 6 AAA cells inside.

I put them to one side on my desk while I did something else. About 5
minutes later, I heard a loud bang. Looking down, two of the cells were now
missing. I found the body of one about 4m away & something from the inside
stuck to the wall about 2m away in the opposite direction. I couldn't find
the button from the end of the cell.

I gathered up what I could find of all the cells & put them in the bin
outside.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

Dom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:03:40 +0100, "Dom" wrote:

Just a word of warning...

I took apart a (10 year old, completely dead) 9v battery this morning & as
stated there seemed to be 6 AAA cells inside.

I put them to one side on my desk while I did something else. About 5
minutes later, I heard a loud bang. Looking down, two of the cells were now
missing. I found the body of one about 4m away & something from the inside
stuck to the wall about 2m away in the opposite direction. I couldn't find
the button from the end of the cell.

I gathered up what I could find of all the cells & put them in the bin
outside.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

They build them two ways: Like yours, with six "AAAAA" cells
stacked just like a 'six pack', and with a vertical stack of little
rectangular lumps that look like the ******* child of a sardine can.

The inner cells have no casing, just a plastic or wax coating of
some sort over the raw zinc. Any pressure that builds up from inner
cell case decomp could easily pop the cell top off if you don't have
it in the outer crimped steel case to mechanically hold it on.

Same thing for the 6V square lantern batteries - I've seen some with
stacked square cells, some with grouped tall cells. All depends on
who designed the production equipment.

Never seen built-up dry batteries with more than one string of cells
in series, since complex series/parallel arrangements with 50 AA's in
a lantern battery would have too many chances to fail. With a simple
series string they can do a simple "Go/No Go" voltage check at the end
of the production line.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Lots of discussion. Lots of no answers. Lots of theories. As
Mythbusters would say, "plausible".

Just a word of warning...

I took apart a (10 year old, completely dead) 9v battery this morning & as
stated there seemed to be 6 AAA cells inside.

It was stated that they'd be AAAA cells.

I put them to one side on my desk while I did something else. About 5
minutes later, I heard a loud bang. Looking down, two of the cells were now
missing. I found the body of one about 4m away & something from the inside
stuck to the wall about 2m away in the opposite direction. I couldn't find
the button from the end of the cell.

Not buying it. Where do you pretend all of this energy came from for
your alleged noise and motion, exactly?

I gathered up what I could find of all the cells & put them in the bin
outside.
Fortunately no one was hurt.

Yeah, I don't think so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:58:49 -0400, "Dixon"
wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

The Energizer AA cells are alkaline, while the lantern battery is
"heavy duty" AKA standard old-technology LeClanche cells with
significantly shorter life and less capability for heavy drain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

The Energizer AA cells are alkaline, while the lantern battery is
"heavy duty" AKA standard old-technology LeClanche cells with
significantly shorter life and less capability for heavy drain.

Yup, and lower average voltage during discharge, but it's still double
the number of watt-hours per dollar.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 22, 6:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Or, it might NOT work...OOPS!

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=368725

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob writes:

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=368725

Bummer.

When I tried this, all I found inside the lantern battery was a very
unhappy hamster on an exercise wheel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Bob writes:

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=368725

Bummer.

When I tried this, all I found inside the lantern battery was a very
unhappy hamster on an exercise wheel.

Metal, or plastic wheel?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do
not fit inside that space!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true.
If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do not
fit inside that space!

Uh, I don't know which half you're referring to, Abrasha, but if it's the
half that multiplies, here are the relevant numbers:

AA - length, 50.5 mm, diameter 14 mm

Six-volt lantern battery - height, 115 mm, width and length, 68 mm

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true.
If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do not
fit inside that space!

Uh, I don't know which half you're referring to, Abrasha, but if it's the
half that multiplies, here are the relevant numbers:

AA - length, 50.5 mm, diameter 14 mm

Six-volt lantern battery - height, 115 mm, width and length, 68 mm

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

--
Ed Huntress

However,

The video shows 32 batteries neatly falling out, without them having
been connected their positive and negative poles in any way to each
other, to create one continuous battery.

Obviously a hoax.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Abrasha" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

Well, my first thought was that he must have cut off all of the connections
first, for the dramatic effect, but who knows. Next time I have a dead
lantern battery (there's one around here somewhere) I'll open it up and see
what's inside.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Ed Huntress :

"Abrasha" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..

[ ... ]

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

[ ... ]

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

--
Ed Huntress

However,

The video shows 32 batteries neatly falling out, without them having been
connected their positive and negative poles in any way to each other, to
create one continuous battery.

Obviously a hoax.

Well, my first thought was that he must have cut off all of the connections
first, for the dramatic effect, but who knows. Next time I have a dead
lantern battery (there's one around here somewhere) I'll open it up and see
what's inside.

Well ... the video won't play on my system, so I can't see what
it looks like, however:

32 cells connected in series would be around 48 Volts (assuming
1.5 V/cell). For six volts, you would only need four cells in series,
which suggests eight series sets connected in parallel.

Now -- I have opened up 6V lantern batteries in the past to get
size F cells for some really old equipment. In some, the cells were
strapped together, but in others, the cells were connected by strips of
metal mounted in cardboard, with connections made purely by the pressure
of the assembly. If the current ones are made like that, then the cells
would just fall out.

That one would fall into four individual cells.
Unless they have stopped making the type-F cells for other purposes, I
don't see any reason to make it up with a series-parallel array of AA
cells. But it has been at least fifteen years since I last disassembled
a 6V lantern battery.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

I opened a damaged Energiser 6 V lantern battery a few months ago,
and it had four large cells in it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Abrasha wrote:
The video shows 32 batteries neatly falling out, without them having
been connected their positive and negative poles in any way to each
other, to create one continuous battery.

Obviously a hoax.

Not at all. One battery on top of another connects them (3v for the
stack). At the ends, there can be pressure strips connecting them. And
a minimum of 2 strips (conductors) up the sides (connect 2 stacks for
6v). The ascii art is too painful, I'm sure you'll get the idea without it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
.... The ascii art is too painful, I'm sure you'll get the idea without
it.

Oh, alright ( +- is one AA cell, "," & "^" are pressure contacts). Each
of the 2 2 cell stacks is connected in parallel to 7 others, by strips
in the top & bottom lids.

| |
| |
, |---, |
+ | + |
- | - |
+ | + |
- | - |
^---| ^---|

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:54:59 -0700, Abrasha
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

One contiunous battery would be 48 volts.
It is possible that SOME lantern batteries may be made that way, and
that the top and bottom holders may have the required circuitry, only
requiring roughly half to be installed "backwards" from the rest. You
would have 4 sets of 8 cells each in parrallel, connected in series.
Roughly 7 amp hour capacity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's
true. If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do
not fit inside that space!

Uh, I don't know which half you're referring to, Abrasha, but if it's the
half that multiplies, here are the relevant numbers:

AA - length, 50.5 mm, diameter 14 mm

Six-volt lantern battery - height, 115 mm, width and length, 68 mm

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

I've got a RadioShack 6V lantern battery here in front of me, and the size
of the case (not counting the springs coming out the top) is only 96 mm
high. It's not quite high enough to fit 2 AAs lengthwise so this one can't
hold the 32 AAs. Or, in imperial units, the the AAs are 2" long the 6V
case is 3 3/4" tall. It's also got the metal sides with cardboard bottom
and top instead of the plastic style case shown in the video.

The 6v weights 896 g and a 32 AAs weight about 768 g so it looks to me like
the idea of making a 6V out 32 AAs would work and could very likely be
something some manufacture is doing to reduce costs considering the fact
that the AA is the worlds most popular cell size and is manufactured in the
highest volumes.

The price however isn't all that great. We buy AAs from costco and I think
we pay something like $10 for 24, which would be $13.33 for 32. If you
could get 32 for $5 it would a nice deal, but if you can't know for sure
the 6V you are buying is the type with the AA cells then you loose
everything. And if the AA cells inside the case are not the same type or
quality as the stand alone cells (like for example they don't have as
strong of a case so they are more likely to leak if you use them stand
alone), then the deals starts to look questionable.

It would be interesting to know if the video is a complete fake, or if it's
real, but only a very limited number of the 6Vs are made that way.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Curt Welch" wrote in message

[...]

huh. thanks. (curt)
one thing for sure, that british debunker video guy sure made me LAUGH OUT
LOUD. i loved the way he said "... a buncha BOO****!! FAKE!!!"

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Curt Welch" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

So, what's inside your lantern battery?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Curt Welch" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
om...

Dixon wrote:

[...]

"And what is inside your drum, little boy, that makes all that noies?"

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Curt Welch" wrote in message

So, what's inside your lantern battery?

It's still good so I don't want to tear it apart to find out.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:32:53 -0700, jk wrote:

According to the reference I found, a Lantern battery is supposed to
be 115 mm High,and AA are supposed to be 50.5 mm
Of course it IS a Wiki

"Of course". So is the page wrong, or are you?
Do you notice anything about the numbers 50.5 and 115? Like, a ratio by
any chance?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

It would be interesting to know if the video is a complete fake, or if
it's real, but only a very limited number of the 6Vs are made that way.

jk

Mine is about 109 mm to the top of the springs. And mine has spent most
it's life installed in a lantern which has probably caused the springs to
compress. So a new one could well have springs that stick up to 115 mm.

I'm sure you could design an lantern batter that used AA cells that would
still fit in standard lanterns because you would only have to increase the
size of the case by about 1/2 the length of the springs on my battery.

I'm still betting that the video is real by my Radio Shack Alkaline no
doubt has the F cells in it. I feel the need to search for 6V lantern
batteries with a slightly larger case and rip it open.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Stan

Can't say there will be no gain, as someone will end up wiser, and
will no longer beleive everything they read on the internet.

What price an education? :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Stan

What I have seen done with some battery manufacturers is to make up a C
cell with a smaller AA cell inside the C cell enclosure. I think it was
when the recharageables first came out. You thought you were buying a
full C cell until you opened it up.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz writes:

Different makes and models have different internal construction. I have
taken apart more than a few batteries. Some 9-volts had the 6 AAA (or
smaller?) sized batteries, some were a stack of 6 rectangles. After
all, think about the voltage and proportions of a 9-volt.

Some 9-volt batteries consist of 6 AAAA (yes, quadruple A,
http://www.google.com/search?q=AAAA+alkaline) cells inside.

I know this because when laser pointers were new and cool in the early
1990s I had a very thin pen-styled one that took AAAA's, which were very
hard to find, and had to resort to dismantling 9-volt batteries to get
them. They used spot-welded tabs to connect, but so small that you could
pull them off.

Sometimes I would open a 9-volt battery and find that it was a stack of 6
little sardine-can-shaped cells instead of AAAA cylinders. I forget nbow
which brands were one type versus the other.

I still have that laser pointer. Even though they're cheap nowadays I've
never seen one that thin.

500 microns? - then you are a HACK!! papaya Home Repair 67 July 30th 20 04:52 PM
My favorite hack saw Clark Magnuson Metalworking 9 November 18th 05 07:03 PM
star hack saw [email protected] Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 07:25 PM
EBay hack Don Foreman Metalworking 59 March 23rd 05 02:32 AM
Macrovision hack? A Better Chungking_Cash Electronics Repair 252 April 9th 04 01:11 AM