DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   AA battery hack secret (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/215301-aa-battery-hack-secret.html)

Dixon September 22nd 07 02:58 PM

AA battery hack secret

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Randy Replogle September 22nd 07 03:17 PM

AA battery hack secret

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surprised.../

Richard J Kinch September 22nd 07 03:49 PM

AA battery hack secret

Randy Replogle writes:

http://www.instructables.com/id/12-Volt-Battery-Hack!-You'll-be-Surpris
ed.../

Confuses silver oxide with alkaline cells.

Don Foreman September 22nd 07 06:19 PM

AA battery hack secret

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:58:49 -0400, "Dixon"
wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

The Energizer AA cells are alkaline, while the lantern battery is
"heavy duty" AKA standard old-technology LeClanche cells with
significantly shorter life and less capability for heavy drain.

Winston September 22nd 07 07:37 PM

AA battery hack secret

wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

The Energizer AA cells are alkaline, while the lantern battery is
"heavy duty" AKA standard old-technology LeClanche cells with
significantly shorter life and less capability for heavy drain.

Yup, and lower average voltage during discharge, but it's still double
the number of watt-hours per dollar.

--Winston

Bob September 22nd 07 07:48 PM

AA battery hack secret

On Sep 22, 6:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Or, it might NOT work...OOPS!

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=368725

Richard J Kinch September 22nd 07 08:15 PM

AA battery hack secret

Bob writes:

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=368725

Bummer.

When I tried this, all I found inside the lantern battery was a very
unhappy hamster on an exercise wheel.

Jon Anderson September 22nd 07 08:35 PM

AA battery hack secret

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Confuses silver oxide with alkaline cells.

I just replaced the battery in my garage door opener remote,
so retrieved it from the recycle bin. It's a Radio Shack,
and says Alkaline on the side of the case. And sure enough,
it has a bunch of smaller button batteries inside.

So, are these alkaline button cells? Or is the case marking
purposely misleading? Wish these were A76 compatible, my
HP27S has a healthy appetite for them seeing as I never
remember to turn it off myself.

Jon

Jon Elson September 23rd 07 01:42 AM

AA battery hack secret

Jon Anderson wrote:
So, are these alkaline button cells? Or is the case marking purposely
misleading? Wish these were A76 compatible, my HP27S has a healthy
appetite for them seeing as I never remember to turn it off myself.

Is this the same series as the 28S? A guy at work gave me his
when he got tired of buying the special batteries (3) that it
uses. He told me they were 3, 3 V cells. I determined that
wasn't right, the calculator works fine on roughly 5V. I bought
a 4-cell Ni-Cad pack from Digi-Key (4.8 V) and recharge it a
couple times a year. But, if I forget to charge it, it runs the
cells down to zero and ruins them. So, now I added a switch to
turn off the battery when I'm not using it. It erases all
memory in the calculator when I do that, but I don't save any
programs in the thing, and actually have only programmed it
once, just to see how. If I want programs, I have real
computers for that.

Jon

Jon Anderson September 23rd 07 02:06 AM

AA battery hack secret

Jon Elson wrote:

Not familiar with the 28S, but a quick search reveals the
28S is RPN where mine is not.

I have considered making a special base for this that would
take larger rechargeable batteries, but I have way too many
projects now.

I do have a number of programs in mine. Often when changing
batteries I'll lose all the programs. But this is hit or
miss. I've gotten old ones out and new ones installed in
just a few seconds, and lost everything. I've fumbled the
three A76s, taking some 10-15 seconds, and the programs are
still there!

Jon

Abrasha September 23rd 07 06:45 AM

AA battery hack secret

Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do
not fit inside that space!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ed Huntress September 23rd 07 06:55 AM

AA battery hack secret

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true.
If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do not
fit inside that space!

Uh, I don't know which half you're referring to, Abrasha, but if it's the
half that multiplies, here are the relevant numbers:

AA - length, 50.5 mm, diameter 14 mm

Six-volt lantern battery - height, 115 mm, width and length, 68 mm

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

--
Ed Huntress

Abrasha September 23rd 07 04:54 PM

AA battery hack secret

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true.
If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do not
fit inside that space!

Uh, I don't know which half you're referring to, Abrasha, but if it's the
half that multiplies, here are the relevant numbers:

AA - length, 50.5 mm, diameter 14 mm

Six-volt lantern battery - height, 115 mm, width and length, 68 mm

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

--
Ed Huntress

However,

The video shows 32 batteries neatly falling out, without them having
been connected their positive and negative poles in any way to each
other, to create one continuous battery.

Obviously a hoax.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ed Huntress September 23rd 07 05:04 PM

AA battery hack secret

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

Well, my first thought was that he must have cut off all of the connections
first, for the dramatic effect, but who knows. Next time I have a dead
lantern battery (there's one around here somewhere) I'll open it up and see
what's inside.

--
Ed Huntress

Bob Engelhardt September 23rd 07 05:07 PM

AA battery hack secret

Abrasha wrote:
The video shows 32 batteries neatly falling out, without them having
been connected their positive and negative poles in any way to each
other, to create one continuous battery.

Obviously a hoax.

Not at all. One battery on top of another connects them (3v for the
stack). At the ends, there can be pressure strips connecting them. And
a minimum of 2 strips (conductors) up the sides (connect 2 stacks for
6v). The ascii art is too painful, I'm sure you'll get the idea without it.

Bob

Bob Engelhardt September 23rd 07 05:25 PM

AA battery hack secret

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
.... The ascii art is too painful, I'm sure you'll get the idea without
it.

Oh, alright ( +- is one AA cell, "," & "^" are pressure contacts). Each
of the 2 2 cell stacks is connected in parallel to 7 others, by strips
in the top & bottom lids.

| |
| |
, |---, |
+ | + |
- | - |
+ | + |
- | - |
^---| ^---|

Bob

Curt Welch September 23rd 07 08:17 PM

AA battery hack secret

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's
true. If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bull****!

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

Besides, anyone with half a brain, can see, that those 32 batteries do
not fit inside that space!

Uh, I don't know which half you're referring to, Abrasha, but if it's the
half that multiplies, here are the relevant numbers:

AA - length, 50.5 mm, diameter 14 mm

Six-volt lantern battery - height, 115 mm, width and length, 68 mm

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

I've got a RadioShack 6V lantern battery here in front of me, and the size
of the case (not counting the springs coming out the top) is only 96 mm
high. It's not quite high enough to fit 2 AAs lengthwise so this one can't
hold the 32 AAs. Or, in imperial units, the the AAs are 2" long the 6V
case is 3 3/4" tall. It's also got the metal sides with cardboard bottom
and top instead of the plastic style case shown in the video.

The 6v weights 896 g and a 32 AAs weight about 768 g so it looks to me like
the idea of making a 6V out 32 AAs would work and could very likely be
something some manufacture is doing to reduce costs considering the fact
that the AA is the worlds most popular cell size and is manufactured in the
highest volumes.

The price however isn't all that great. We buy AAs from costco and I think
we pay something like $10 for 24, which would be $13.33 for 32. If you
could get 32 for $5 it would a nice deal, but if you can't know for sure
the 6V you are buying is the type with the AA cells then you loose
everything. And if the AA cells inside the case are not the same type or
quality as the stand alone cells (like for example they don't have as
strong of a case so they are more likely to leak if you use them stand
alone), then the deals starts to look questionable.

It would be interesting to know if the video is a complete fake, or if it's
real, but only a very limited number of the 6Vs are made that way.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/

William Wixon September 23rd 07 09:36 PM

AA battery hack secret

"Curt Welch" wrote in message

[...]

huh. thanks. (curt)
one thing for sure, that british debunker video guy sure made me LAUGH OUT
LOUD. i loved the way he said "... a buncha BOO****!! FAKE!!!"

b.w.

Curt Welch September 23rd 07 10:01 PM

AA battery hack secret

(Curt Welch) wrote:
We buy AAs from costco and I
think we pay something like $10 for 24,

Actually, the wife is there now buying AAs, and the current price is
36 for $12.29 (Duracell Alkaline) so that's about $11 for 32. If the 6V
cost you $8 then all you would be saving was $3 by trying to rip open the
lantern battery. I'd rip open a few that looked like they might be large
enough just for the fun of it to see if any were made with AA cells, but
I'd never do it just to save $3.

--
Curt Welch
http://CurtWelch.Com/

Ed Huntress September 23rd 07 10:07 PM

AA battery hack secret

"Curt Welch" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

So, what's inside your lantern battery?

--
Ed Huntress

[email protected] September 23rd 07 10:54 PM

AA battery hack secret

On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Stan

DoN. Nichols September 23rd 07 11:09 PM

AA battery hack secret

According to Ed Huntress :

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..

[ ... ]

This is what's inside!
http://www.break.com/index/lantern-b...ick-fails.html

[ ... ]

32 AA's fit in there with room to spare.

--
Ed Huntress

However,

The video shows 32 batteries neatly falling out, without them having been
connected their positive and negative poles in any way to each other, to
create one continuous battery.

Obviously a hoax.

Well, my first thought was that he must have cut off all of the connections
first, for the dramatic effect, but who knows. Next time I have a dead
lantern battery (there's one around here somewhere) I'll open it up and see
what's inside.

Well ... the video won't play on my system, so I can't see what
it looks like, however:

32 cells connected in series would be around 48 Volts (assuming
1.5 V/cell). For six volts, you would only need four cells in series,
which suggests eight series sets connected in parallel.

Now -- I have opened up 6V lantern batteries in the past to get
size F cells for some really old equipment. In some, the cells were
strapped together, but in others, the cells were connected by strips of
metal mounted in cardboard, with connections made purely by the pressure
of the assembly. If the current ones are made like that, then the cells
would just fall out.

That one would fall into four individual cells.
Unless they have stopped making the type-F cells for other purposes, I
don't see any reason to make it up with a series-parallel array of AA
cells. But it has been at least fifteen years since I last disassembled
a 6V lantern battery.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Trevor Jones September 23rd 07 11:16 PM

AA battery hack secret

wrote:

On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Stan

Can't say there will be no gain, as someone will end up wiser, and
will no longer beleive everything they read on the internet.

What price an education? :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Larry Jaques September 23rd 07 11:56 PM

AA battery hack secret

On 23 Sep 2007 21:01:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

(Curt Welch) wrote:
We buy AAs from costco and I
think we pay something like $10 for 24,

Actually, the wife is there now buying AAs, and the current price is
36 for $12.29 (Duracell Alkaline) so that's about $11 for 32. If the 6V
cost you $8 then all you would be saving was $3 by trying to rip open the
lantern battery. I'd rip open a few that looked like they might be large
enough just for the fun of it to see if any were made with AA cells, but
I'd never do it just to save $3.

I just picked a couple more 15-packs for $5ea. (-$3ea mail-in rebate),
but I usually buy the Eveready Gold 24-packs for $6.65 on sale at
Bi-Mart. Alkalines are the way to go.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

John September 24th 07 12:03 AM

AA battery hack secret

DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to Ed Huntress :

"Abrasha" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
news:14KdnZkAsOLnYGjbnZ2dnUVZ_u6rnZ2d@comcast. com...

[ ... ]

[...]

A series, parallel connected cells would prematurely discharge into one
another untill they all went dead. It is never a good idea to leave
cells connected in parallel for any extended length of time without
being used.

John

John September 24th 07 12:17 AM

AA battery hack secret

wrote:

On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:

Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Stan

What I have seen done with some battery manufacturers is to make up a C
cell with a smaller AA cell inside the C cell enclosure. I think it was
when the recharageables first came out. You thought you were buying a
full C cell until you opened it up.

John

John September 24th 07 12:23 AM

AA battery hack secret

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Curt Welch" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
om...

Dixon wrote:

[...]

"And what is inside your drum, little boy, that makes all that noies?" :)

John

William Wixon September 24th 07 12:38 AM

AA battery hack secret

"Dixon" wrote in message
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true.
If anyone here tries it post back.
http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

i happened to have a dead lantern battery on hand. cracked it open, like
the british guy said, "BOO****". lol. this whole thread has been fun. i
didn't know what was in a lantern battery and the original video had me like
"wow! cool!" funny. the guy got me. thanks anyhow dixon.

b.w.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/boo****.jpg
(well, i can't say that's what's in ALL lantern batteries, just what was in
the one i had.)

Dave Hinz September 24th 07 12:38 AM

AA battery hack secret

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:54:04 -0700, wrote:

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own. Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

Different makes and models have different internal construction. I have
taken apart more than a few batteries. Some 9-volts had the 6 AAA (or
smaller?) sized batteries, some were a stack of 6 rectangles. After
all, think about the voltage and proportions of a 9-volt.

Not unreasonable to assume that maybe, just maybe, the video applies to
some but not all varieties of the same externally similar type of
battery.

Richard J Kinch September 24th 07 01:21 AM

AA battery hack secret

Dave Hinz writes:

Different makes and models have different internal construction. I have
taken apart more than a few batteries. Some 9-volts had the 6 AAA (or
smaller?) sized batteries, some were a stack of 6 rectangles. After
all, think about the voltage and proportions of a 9-volt.

Some 9-volt batteries consist of 6 AAAA (yes, quadruple A,
http://www.google.com/search?q=AAAA+alkaline) cells inside.

I know this because when laser pointers were new and cool in the early
1990s I had a very thin pen-styled one that took AAAA's, which were very
hard to find, and had to resort to dismantling 9-volt batteries to get
them. They used spot-welded tabs to connect, but so small that you could
pull them off.

Sometimes I would open a 9-volt battery and find that it was a stack of 6
little sardine-can-shaped cells instead of AAAA cylinders. I forget nbow
which brands were one type versus the other.

I still have that laser pointer. Even though they're cheap nowadays I've
never seen one that thin.

DoN. Nichols September 24th 07 02:10 AM

AA battery hack secret

According to :
On Sep 22, 7:58 am, "Dixon" wrote:
Here's a neat little trick to save $ on double A batteries if it's true. If
anyone here tries it post

back.http://www.break.com/index/how-to-sa...batteries.html

Bogus. I've been to the Eveready factory where they made lantern
batteries, they consist of 4 "F"-sized cells in series. "F" is a non-
consumer-sized cell made up just for such purposes, there's no
consumer goods made that take the cells on their own.

Perhaps not now -- but I have a Geiger counter (Navy surplus)
which requires:

1 15V cell (for bias)

1 135 V cell (I made an adaptor for two 67-1/2 V cells, which
are now quite expensive and difficult to find on their own).

2) F cells in series for the filaments for the tubes.

I suspect that portable radios in the past (tube days) used F
cells more commonly than today, which is why the 6V lantern battery was
designed to be just the right size to hold four F cells.

Anyway -- I've used 6V lantern batteries as sources for the size
'F' cells for this in the past, and I hope that most vendors still make
the lantern battery from 'F' cells.

Following that
video will lead to the destruction of a perfectly good lantern battery
for NO gain.

I wish that I could *see* the video. Even with flash installed
and turned on, I can't see it on a browser running in my unix system,
which makes me think that it is yet another web site tailored to depend
on the unique bugs found in Internet Explorer, and it just won't run on
anything other than a Windows system. (Just like the system run for
patients to check up on their status with my doctor's group -- it won't
work fully on anything other than a Windows system.

Can anyone tell me what brand of battery is being disassembled
in the video?

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols September 24th 07 02:16 AM

AA battery hack secret

According to William Wixon :

[ ... ]

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/boo****.jpg
(well, i can't say that's what's in ALL lantern batteries, just what was in
the one i had.)

O.K. *That* is four size F cells, which is what I have always
expected to be in there -- but I still could accept that some maker
might use a series/parallel array of 32 AA cells for some reason or
other -- perhaps they are not set up to make size F cells and their
competitors still are. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Martin H. Eastburn September 24th 07 02:53 AM

AA battery hack secret

Guess you don't have a 8,9,12,14,18,24volt electric drill ?
Those are button cells. More buttons the better. Many series to make voltage.
Many of those in parallel to make current. Loose a cell and a branch is gone.
That is a drop in current.

Reliability went up when the buttons were used from larger high current cells.

Who knows what the date code on the two batteries. One could be years old
and the other not. The brand ? model ? the same ?????

Hum.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

john wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to Ed Huntress :

"Abrasha" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..

[ ... ]

DoN. Nichols September 24th 07 03:06 AM

AA battery hack secret

According to john :

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

32 cells connected in series would be around 48 Volts (assuming
1.5 V/cell). For six volts, you would only need four cells in series,
which suggests eight series sets connected in parallel.

[ ... ]

That one would fall into four individual cells.
Unless they have stopped making the type-F cells for other purposes, I
don't see any reason to make it up with a series-parallel array of AA
cells. But it has been at least fifteen years since I last disassembled
a 6V lantern battery.

[ ... ]

A series, parallel connected cells would prematurely discharge into one
another untill they all went dead. It is never a good idea to leave
cells connected in parallel for any extended length of time without
being used.

Certainly a problem -- though less so with an identical batch
of unused cells right from the factory. And assembled into the lantern
battery housing, they should be pretty much all at the same temperature,
which would minimize the problem as well.

Now -- if you added a diode in series with each series string
before paralleling them, you should be fine -- but how much would the
eight diodes add to the cost of the battery? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

clare at snyder.on.ca September 24th 07 04:52 AM

AA battery hack secret

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:54:59 -0700, Abrasha
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

One contiunous battery would be 48 volts.
It is possible that SOME lantern batteries may be made that way, and
that the top and bottom holders may have the required circuitry, only
requiring roughly half to be installed "backwards" from the rest. You
would have 4 sets of 8 cells each in parrallel, connected in series.
Roughly 7 amp hour capacity.

clare at snyder.on.ca September 24th 07 04:56 AM

AA battery hack secret

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:03:26 -0400, john
wrote:

A series, parallel connected cells would prematurely discharge into one
another untill they all went dead. It is never a good idea to leave
cells connected in parallel for any extended length of time without
being used.

John

Agreed, in theory. However, in practice, it IS done with reasonable
results using matched cells from the same batch. Particularly common
with lithium cells in computer batteries, and with NimH cells in tool
batteries (which DO have a rather poor reliability record)

clare at snyder.on.ca September 24th 07 05:02 AM

AA battery hack secret

On 24 Sep 2007 01:10:00 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

I suspect that portable radios in the past (tube days) used F
cells more commonly than today, which is why the 6V lantern battery was
designed to be just the right size to hold four F cells.

The "F" designation was for "F"ilament use. Lots of old batteries had
1.5 volt filaments in the rectifier tubes, so you had an "A", a "B"
and an "F" battery.

Ed Huntress September 24th 07 06:09 AM

AA battery hack secret

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to john :

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Not to mention the voltage drop of four diodes in series -- something like
2.8 V? Add more cells... d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Michael A. Terrell September 24th 07 09:26 AM

AA battery hack secret

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Bob writes:

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=368725

Bummer.

When I tried this, all I found inside the lantern battery was a very
unhappy hamster on an exercise wheel.

Metal, or plastic wheel?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell September 24th 07 09:33 AM

AA battery hack secret

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Dixon wrote:
[...]

I opened a damaged Energiser 6 V lantern battery a few months ago,
and it had four large cells in it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell