Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Clarke CL500M lathe / mil

Hi

I have recently brought a second hand Clarke CL500M lathe/mill. The mill
head has a milling chuck that takes collets and I'd like to be able fit a
standard drill chuck in it's place, but I can't remove the milling chuck.
I've tried all my biggest hammers to no avail, there seems to be a slot that
takes a tapered thingy that should eject the head, I have tried that but I'm
not sure my taper is the right size. I've also tried whacking the threaded
shaft that runs all the up, but I think I'll break something if I continue
with that. So I guess my question is... Is it just held in on taper or is
there something else that holds it in place, any advise would be gratefully
received.

Thanks
Nigel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have recently brought a second hand Clarke CL500M lathe/mill. The mill
head has a milling chuck that takes collets and I'd like to be able fit a
standard drill chuck in it's place, but I can't remove the milling chuck.
I've tried all my biggest hammers to no avail, there seems to be a slot
that takes a tapered thingy that should eject the head, I have tried that
but I'm not sure my taper is the right size. I've also tried whacking the
threaded shaft that runs all the up, but I think I'll break something if I
continue with that. So I guess my question is... Is it just held in on
taper or is there something else that holds it in place, any advise would
be gratefully received.

All that banging will knock it out of true.

Is there perhaps a draw bar (from the other end) that is screwed up
so holding the Morse Taper in tight?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

Is there perhaps a draw bar (from the other end) that is screwed up
so holding the Morse Taper in tight?

I spoke to the very helpful tec support guys at Clarkes. There was a draw
bar holding it in, and after removing that and a bit of thought around what
the drift was supposed to be doing, it pop out.... didn't even need by
favourite hammer

Thanks for your help

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Nigel" wrote in message

Is there perhaps a draw bar (from the other end) that is screwed up
so holding the Morse Taper in tight?

I spoke to the very helpful tec support guys at Clarkes. There was a draw
bar holding it in, and after removing that and a bit of thought around
what the drift was supposed to be doing, it pop out.... didn't even need
by favourite hammer

Thanks for your help

I'm unfamiliar with your m/c but tapered drift removal is common. Going back
many years I recall loosening the draw bar about a turn and a reasonable tap
with a copper or lead mallet being the norm on some tapered tooling. Having
been 'CNC' since 1987 it's been a while since performing such a task!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

On or around Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:09:45 +0100, "Nigel"
enlightened us thusly:

Is there perhaps a draw bar (from the other end) that is screwed up
so holding the Morse Taper in tight?

I spoke to the very helpful tec support guys at Clarkes. There was a draw
bar holding it in, and after removing that and a bit of thought around what
the drift was supposed to be doing, it pop out.... didn't even need by
favourite hammer

Thanks for your help

drawbar on it's big brother (CL12-summat), certainly. Loosen it about 2
turns and tap the top of the drawbar is my technique, then unscrew it. Helps
if you make a chamfer around the head of the drawbar to stop it getting
flattened and making the spanner fail to fit..
..
------------------------------------------------\
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ \ ...and Kill them.

a webcartoon by Howard Tayler; I like it, maybe you will too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Austin Shackles" wrote in
message ...
drawbar on it's big brother (CL12-summat), certainly. Loosen it about 2
turns and tap the top of the drawbar is my technique, then unscrew it.
Helps
if you make a chamfer around the head of the drawbar to stop it getting
flattened and making the spanner fail to fit..
.

And don't leave the spanner on 'for next time', i've actually seen someone
do that!! "DUCK!!!" ;-)