Rex B

Default Clarke MIG welders??

Northern tool offers a line of Clarke MIG welders that look like a
pretty good deal. Never heard of them. Anyone know if they are any
good? US-made or oriental?

http://tinyurl.com/6wdd3

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Rex B

That's interesting. I thought they were sourcing from Century.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Moray Cuthill

"Rex B" wrote in message
Northern tool offers a line of Clarke MIG welders that look like a pretty
good deal. Never heard of them. Anyone know if they are any good?
US-made or oriental?

http://tinyurl.com/6wdd3

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

They're made in Taiwan/China.
I've currently got 2 of them. An old 120 (not sure off the exact model),
which must be at least ten years old and has done a lot of work. In that
time it's only needed a new torch, and a couple years ago, I had to solder
the control PCB after one off the tracks melted, which was probably
something to do with it being used near full power most off the time. It's
still lying in the back off the workshop for any small jobs, where only a
13A (UK standard) socket is available.
A 255TE (needs a 32A 240V supply) was bought a couple years ago, and it's
performed flawlessly, although I recently managed to melt the torch. Which
upon further investigation, it turns out it's only a 150A torch. It still
works, but will be getting replaced in the future with a torch designed to
take the full 250A.

When looking at the big welder, I did consider some off the big name brands,
but just couldn't justify the extra cost. And I've certainly not regretted
the choice.

Rex B

Moray Cuthill wrote:
"Rex B" wrote in message

[...]

Good information, Thanks
I guess I'm trying to decide between the FP130 Firepower and the
comparable Clarke. Specs seem similar, althought the duty cycle is
rated at different amps. But I doubt the duty cycle would ever be a
limitation, no more welding than I do.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Paul T.

Northern tool offers a line of Clarke MIG welders that look like a pretty
good deal. Never heard of them. Anyone know if they are any good?
US-made or oriental?

Try to scrounge the $ to move up to a Miller, Hobart or US made Lincoln if
you will be using the welder very often. Check out this forum:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

for some comments on these welders and the Clarke units, use the search
feature on the forum to search on these terms and you'll hit lots of
comments:

Clarke
Hobart 135
Hobart 140
Lincoln 135
Miller 135

What you'll find is that any of the small Hobart, Miller or Lincoln welders
are way better than any of the imports. Be careful with the Lincolns, the
135 and higher units are US made and are good pieces, but the 125 and lesser
units are imports and are so-so.

Lincoln re-sells their SP135 and SP175 tapped units under a lot of different
brand names at the "big box" stores (Weld Pac 135, Pro Mig 135, . . .).
These are all exactly the same as the entry model tapped units they sell in
"real" welding stores, and some times you can find them on sale at the big
box stores. You'll also find these on the used markets, sometimes for pretty
good prices, I think a lot of people buy them on impulse, use them once and
then leave them sitting around until they decide to get rid of them.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Martin H. Eastburn

Rex B wrote:

Northern tool offers a line of Clarke MIG welders that look like a
pretty good deal. Never heard of them. Anyone know if they are any
good? US-made or oriental?

http://tinyurl.com/6wdd3

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Do a Google on the model number - WE6000 and you will see a number of places.
One has a stocking in Texas...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn