Default Any input on Miller welders?

Did it take you long to pick up TIG welding?

"Lane" wrote in message
I own a Syncro 250 and love it.
Lane

wrote in message
.com...
I'm looking at getting the Miller Syncrowave 190 SD.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

Anyone have any input on how good these welders are, or Miller welders

in
general?

Thanks everyone

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
wrote:

I'm looking at getting the Miller Syncrowave 190 SD.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

Anyone have any input on how good these welders are, or Miller welders in
general?

Thanks everyone

The Syncrowave 180SD is the best small transformer on the market.

Next down is the Lincoln Squarewave 175.

The Syncro 180 is just a little better, and it has digital readouts.

Another machine to look at in the same class for about the same money
is the Thermal Arc Prowave 185TSW inverter.
It weighs about 32 pounds instead of 200 lbs and only needs a 30 amp
circuit, instead of a 60 amp circuit.
Yet it has the same amperage range.

Thermal Arc 185TSW ($1600)
http://rochweld.safeshopper.com/24/458.htm?709
Gary Brady

I'm looking at getting the Miller Syncrowave 190 SD.

I have the Syncrowave 180 and find it to be an excellent machine. Very good
stick capabilities, and good TIG function too.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Desert Traveler

wrote in message
.com...
I'm looking at getting the Miller Syncrowave 190 SD.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

Anyone have any input on how good these welders are, or Miller welders in
general?

Thanks everyone

Miller is an excellent maker of welding equipment. The only downside is
that they are currently embarking on a policy not to stock parts on anything
older than ten years.

Lincoln is a good alternative.

Steve

Gary Coffman

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:00:10 GMT, wrote:
I'm looking at getting the Miller Syncrowave 190 SD.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

Anyone have any input on how good these welders are, or Miller welders in
general?

I own several pieces of Miller equipment, including a 180SD. Miller
equipment in general is top grade, and the 180SD is the best small
transformer TIG on the market.

That said, you *might* want to give inverter technology a close look
before going with a transformer machine. The new Dynasty 200DX
in particular is one sweet piece of equipment. It costs a bit more, but
it weighs a lot less, and has more features.

Until this new machine came out, I would have whole heartedly
recommended the 180SD as the best machine in this capability
range. But today, the Dynasty 200DX makes it a much more
difficult choice.

Gary

Gary Coffman

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:21:35 -0700, "Desert Traveler" wrote
It has been a source of discussion at sci.engr.joining.welding over the past
few weeks.

But oddly enough, you've been the only poster making the claim.

Gary

Desert Traveler

"mrbonaparte" wrote in message
What kind of answers did you get for the plasma torch? I've been looking

at
Hobart as well. Thanks

The odds on favorite is the HyperTherm. This is based on reliability,
service, spare parts, consumables and performance. I like the 380. This
will do up to 3/8" steel, but is really rated for anything less than that.

One caveat: if you need to do larger stuff, you are going to get into two
new areas. One is that a lot of those require 50 amps or MORE, and they
will require a much larger compressor. So, if you are only going to do
small stuff, it might be better, and more economical, to buy an additional
oxy/acet rig for the thick stuff. You can get a Victor for about $250 used.
Sometimes less. Be sure to check your electrical service so you don't find
out you have to run 220 out there at a cost of $$$$$. You can always use
multiple smaller tanks on a small compressor. BE SURE TO SET UP BLEEDERS
AND WATER TRAPS, AS MOISTURE CUTS DOWN COMSUMABLES LIFE BY UP TO 75%. That
is straight from the factory reps.

I am a Lincoln fan. I grew up with them, and that was all we used in the
oil patch. Millers have improved, and I have had a couple of Millers that
were outstanding. I was hesitant about buying anything but a Lincoln, but
after talking to the guys at the welding group, I found out that the
HyperTherm was the way to go. I thought it was a cheapo knockoff Harbor
Freight type of deal at first. But upon more investigation found it to be
the way to go.

I have just returned from LA where I have firmed up some areas on my
business plan. I have been researching equipment for about six months now,
and have arrived at these choices for my application:

Lincoln 175 Squarewave Tig
Hypertherm 380 Plasma Cutter
Victor Journeyman Torch Set
Bender
Horizontal Band Saw
1/2" Drillpress
Hydraulic Bender and Press

I already have a Lincoln 175+ wirefeed, chop saw, grinders, etc. I will be
making custom wrought iron kitchen stuff for architechts and interior
designers. I will also be decorating my two houses with a proliferation of
various ornamental metal, awning, structural, and water features. Plus all
the trailer modifications and ATV stuff.

Do yer homework before you buy, particularly on big ticket items. Buy
quality ......... it lasts. And hang out at the sci.engr.joining.welding
newsgroup for a while and just read. Lots of really good info there, and
helpful people. Surprisingly few grumps and trolls, as compared to some
newsgroups. You can get some good and quick advice there.

Steve

PS: Never liked Hobart. Some people swear by them, but the majority of
Hobart machines I have ever seen in my 30 years of welding were sitting in a
corner, full of dust, waiting on missing parts, and had some sad tale of woe
that went with them.

It has been a source of discussion at sci.engr.joining.welding over the

past
few weeks.

And there is currently a discussion of a question I put there about

which
plasma torch to buy. Lincoln and Miller run third and fourth in that
discussion. I am a Lincoln fan, and like Miller, but would buy neither

of
their plasma torches.

Steve

Desert Traveler

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:21:35 -0700, "Desert Traveler"

wrote
It has been a source of discussion at sci.engr.joining.welding over the

past
few weeks.

But oddly enough, you've been the only poster making the claim.

Gary

Whaaaaa? If you would care to research your statement at Google, you would
find that I have never made that claim in the welding NG. I only posted it
here, and I am only repeating what I read there.

FYI, I have been traveling most of the past few weeks.

I know you are a Miller fan. They make good stuff. But companies change,
and if I were to be laying out $$$ right now for a new machine, I would like
to be reasonably sure that I could get spare parts for it ten years from
now.

YMMV.

Steve

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Old Nick
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:18:14 -0700, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

Ernie

PMFJI

Is there a duty cycle issue with the inverter machine?

Ta in advance and all that.

The Thermal Arc 185TSW has a duty cycle of 30% at 185 amps.
The Miller Syncro 180Sd has a Duty cycle of 30% at 180 amps.

Not much difference.

Tough choice.

Another machine to look at in the same class for about the same money
is the Thermal Arc Prowave 185TSW inverter.
It weighs about 32 pounds instead of 200 lbs and only needs a 30 amp
circuit, instead of a 60 amp circuit.
Yet it has the same amperage range.

Thermal Arc 185TSW ($1600)
http://rochweld.safeshopper.com/24/458.htm?709

************************************************** ****************************
************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for
long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Steve

What is your source of info? Is it on Millers site? I'm interested

because
I am planning on buying a plasma torch soon. Thanks

Miller is an excellent maker of welding equipment. The only downside is
that they are currently embarking on a policy not to stock parts on

anything
older than ten years.

Lincoln is a good alternative.

Steve

It has been a source of discussion at sci.engr.joining.welding over the past
few weeks.

And there is currently a discussion of a question I put there about which
plasma torch to buy. Lincoln and Miller run third and fourth in that
discussion. I am a Lincoln fan, and like Miller, but would buy neither of
their plasma torches.

Steve

I have a Miller Spectrum 2050 and I love it. Plus, it has a Hypertherm
Torch on it direct from the factory. Mine sees *Hard* use in the shop
and has not missed a beat. -Steve
Old Nick

Welders - supplier? Mark S. UK diy 15 December 7th 03 08:43 PM
Just got a used Miller XMT 300. What's needed for TIG? Thomas Kendrick Metalworking 6 July 16th 03 12:00 PM