Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Acetylene welding question

I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to 7pis
acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can bend) and
not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much worse.
I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to 7pis
acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can bend) and
not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much worse.
I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

I think your acetylene pressure is too high. Magic numbers are 3 and 10 psi at
South Seattle Community College. Even though your tip is a little bigger than
theirs, I'd try cutting it back some.

Also, remove your torch tip, take a magnifying glass, and look very closely at
the O-rings.

Here are the first few lines from the Victor welding tip chart. Make sure you
are reading these in non-proportional font (i.e. Courier or equivalent):

Victor Welding Tip Size And Application Data

TIP DRILL LENGTH OF OXYGEN ACETYLENE ACETYLENE METAL
SIZE SIZE AVERAGE PSI PSI CFM THICKNESS
INNER
FLAME CONE MIN MAX MIN MAX MIN MAX
000 75 7/32" 1/2 2 1/2 2 1/2 3 UP TO 1/32"
00 70 7/32" 1 2 1 2 1 4 1/64"-3/64"
0 65 3/8" 1 3 1 3 2 6 1/32"-5/64"
1 60 3/8" 1 4 1 4 4 8 3/64"-3/32"
2 56 3/8" 2 5 2 5 7 13 1/16"-1/8"
3 53 3/8" 3 7 3 7 8 36 1/8"-3/16"
4 49 5/8" 4 10 4 10 10 41 3/16"-1/4"
5 43 1" 5 12 5 15 15 59 1/4"-1/2"

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Courtney wrote:
The tips are getting too hot because you have them too close to the work
piece and/or in a "corner" where too much heat is reflected back on the tip.

Or you're not running a big enough flame.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 12:56 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to 7pis
acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can bend) and
not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much worse.
I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Get the tip chart and set your pressures from that, I think they're
too high, myself. Tip chart will also get you suggested max thickness
you can work with each tip size as well as flow rates per hour of
gases used. Gratis from your equipment supplier, usually, or try the
web site. Need more heat, get a bigger tip, don't just crank the
pressures up.

My snapouts went away after polishing the tips. Keep them clean and
they don't pick up too much heat. If they look like they've been used
for mixing roofing tar, it's way past time to clean them. Black junk
soaks up heat, heat decomposes(explosively) acetylene. Decomposed
acetylene leaves behind a lot of carbon. And round and round we go.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article K1Npi.2101$Ok5.933@trndny02,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to 7pis
acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can bend) and
not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much worse.
I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

The rapid fire is what happens when the tip itself gets hot enough that
the gasses combust inside.
The solution is to cool the tip in water or use a larger tip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to
7pis acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can
bend) and not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much
worse. I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Thanks everyone!!!!! I appreciate the answers. All consistent for a
change.

Ivan Vegvary

oxy/acetylene: difference between brazing/welding tip? Grant Erwin Metalworking 7 October 26th 05 02:04 PM
Question about Welding Home Repair 6 June 12th 05 03:32 AM
acetylene regulator question wallster Metalworking 12 May 8th 05 01:12 AM
Welding question..... Searcher 1 Metalworking 19 February 19th 05 01:12 PM