Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Acetylene welding question

On Jul 25, 12:56 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to 7pis
acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can bend) and
not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much worse.
I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Get the tip chart and set your pressures from that, I think they're
too high, myself. Tip chart will also get you suggested max thickness
you can work with each tip size as well as flow rates per hour of
gases used. Gratis from your equipment supplier, usually, or try the
web site. Need more heat, get a bigger tip, don't just crank the
pressures up.

My snapouts went away after polishing the tips. Keep them clean and
they don't pick up too much heat. If they look like they've been used
for mixing roofing tar, it's way past time to clean them. Black junk
soaks up heat, heat decomposes(explosively) acetylene. Decomposed
acetylene leaves behind a lot of carbon. And round and round we go.

Stan