wallster

Default acetylene regulator question

I recently up-sized my acetylene cylinder from a 40cf (B) to a 60cf
(wq)tank.
When I tried to attach the spud end of the regulator to the new
cylinder, the regulator gauge hits the rim of the cylinder so i
couldn't tighten the regulator spud nut. I stopped by the hardware
store (the welding store was closed by now) and (of course) they didn't
have any regulator parts. But they did have brass fittings. I removed
the spud from the regulator and replaced it with a 1.5" double ended
brass fitting, then a brass coupler, then the original spud (to
lengthen the spud). I used teflon tape on all the fittings. It works
fine with no leaks. The regulator is brass so i figured brass fittings
are adequate.(i know copper is not)
Does anyone have any thoughts or safety concerns with this set up?

thanks,
walt

Ron DeBlock

On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:50:21 -0700, wallster wrote:

[...]

I would buy the correct nipple for the regulator ASAP. My friend cobbled
something like this up for a Nitrogen tank and regulator once, it
exploded when he opened the valve. The surgeons stitched his hand back
together, but he will never have full use of it. I know that Acetylene
pressure is less than 300PSI compared to the Nitrogen at 2500PSI or
higher, but pressurized gas is not something to mess with.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise, He would have scheduled it later in the day.

wallster

thanks Ron, good advice. I guess if i have to ask, i already know the
answer. I'll get a the longer spud.
Acetylene released at 300psi could be catastrophic.

walt

wallster

that's odd. Victor lists their regulator as "All brass acetylene regulator
(CGA200)" and brass is 70% copper and 30% zinc. The fittings I used were
brass, same as the regulator. What material do they recommend as acceptable?

walt

BOC (British Oxygen) specify that joints or fittings in contact
with acetylene must not be of copper or any alloy containing more than
70% copper.

Jim

wallster

hey Ron, picked up the new longer spud from the welding supply store.
$3.90... now i dont have to be concerned.
thanks again.

walt

Tim Williams

"wallster" wrote in message
that's odd. Victor lists their regulator as "All brass acetylene regulator
(CGA200)" and brass is 70% copper and 30% zinc. The fittings I used were
brass, same as the regulator. What material do they recommend as
acceptable?

I can't say with unequivocal certainty, but most heavily machined fittings
are free-machining yellow brass, 37% Zn, 3% Pb, ~59% Cu, which would fit
with the requirement below.

BOC (British Oxygen) specify that joints or fittings in contact
with acetylene must not be of copper or any alloy containing more than
70% copper.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

wallster

"Unspecified brass is probably OK - but are you feeling lucky?

Jim"

Not really, that's why i bought a longer spud. The new spud appears to
be brass as well, I just thought it odd that copper can make acetylene
volatile yet brass is (approx) 70% copper. I dont doubt your statement
and I realize "brass" is a bit generic, but it still seems odd.
The biggest difference between my "cobbled" extension and the correct
regulator spud is the wall thickness (and the fact that it's one piece
and not three peices). I realize the cylinder pressure is about 300psi
but I will sleep better knowing that the proper application has been
applied.
Thanks for the insight Jim.
walt

On Sat, 7 May 2005 08:17:41 -0400, "wallster"
wrote:

that's odd. Victor lists their regulator as "All brass acetylene regulator
(CGA200)" and brass is 70% copper and 30% zinc. The fittings I used were
brass, same as the regulator. What material do they recommend as acceptable?

walt

BOC (British Oxygen) specify that joints or fittings in contact
with acetylene must not be of copper or any alloy containing more than
70% copper.

Jim

Verbatim quote with no further info. However "brass" is a
pretty elastic term.

From "Casting Brass" CW Ammen :-

Yellow Brasses 63 to 72% Cu
Red brasses 83 to 85% Cu
Aluminium bronze 81 to 89% Cu

Unspecified brass is probably OK - but are you feeling lucky?

Jim

Ken Davey

wallster wrote:
"Unspecified brass is probably OK - but are you feeling lucky?

Jim"

Not really, that's why i bought a longer spud. The new spud appears to
be brass as well, I just thought it odd that copper can make acetylene
volatile yet brass is (approx) 70% copper. I dont doubt your statement
and I realize "brass" is a bit generic, but it still seems odd.
The biggest difference between my "cobbled" extension and the correct
regulator spud is the wall thickness (and the fact that it's one piece
and not three peices). I realize the cylinder pressure is about 300psi
but I will sleep better knowing that the proper application has been
applied.
Thanks for the insight Jim.
walt

FYI.
http://www.msha.gov/Accident_Prevent...etylenegas.htm

"
a.. Acetylene forms explosive compounds with copper, brass, copper salts,
mercury/mercury salts, silver/silver salts and nitric acid. Under no
circumstances should acetylene gas come in contact with unalloyed copper,
except in a torch. Any contact of acetylene with high-alloyed copper piping
will generate copper acetylide, which is very reactive and may result in a
violent explosion. Also, an explosion hazard will result if the gas comes
into contact with silver bearing materials such as those used in
silver-brazed pipeline joints. "

Ken.

wallster

http://www.msha.gov/Accident_Prevent...etylenegas.htm

"
a.. Acetylene forms explosive compounds with copper, brass, copper salts,
mercury/mercury salts, silver/silver salts and nitric acid. Under no
circumstances should acetylene gas come in contact with unalloyed copper,
except in a torch. Any contact of acetylene with high-alloyed copper
piping will generate copper acetylide, which is very reactive and may
result in a violent explosion. Also, an explosion hazard will result if
the gas comes into contact with silver bearing materials such as those
used in silver-brazed pipeline joints. "

Ken.

Hey Ken, I cant believe more people dont get blown up based on all the
warnings that acetylene comes with. I very (maybe twice) seldom have ever
heard about acetylene exploding. There are tons of automotive service
establishments that use it everyday along with steel fabricating companies,
ship yards, etc...
But apparently it's a BAD idea to fill rubber balloons with acetylene and
store them behind your truck seat. Good old static electricity can be a
problem.
http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Kan...er%20truck.htm

walt

DeepDiver

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

FYI.
http://www.msha.gov/Accident_Prevent...etylenegas.htm

Wow. I knew acetylene was dangerous, but I didn't realize it was THAT
dangerous. It's amazing that miners used to (and some spelunkers still) wear
acetylene generators on their foreheads!

Btw, I'm curious about these two safety statements:

"If this reaction or ignition occurs within the torch base or supply hose it
can propagate back into the storage cylinder causing it to explode
violently."

"Flame arrestors and check valves should be installed at both the torch base
hose connections and at the regulator hose connections."

In light of the former statement, wouldn't you also want a flame arrestor
installed at, or within, the cylinder valve?

- Michael