Grant Erwin

Default oxy/acetylene: difference between brazing/welding tip?

I have an old Smith torch which seems to be in fine condition except a bit of
the nickel plating has worn through. It has 2 welding tips and a cutting torch
attachment which uses the old-style threaded cutting torch tips. I am getting
ready to sell it locally, and I'm anticipating questions. I have never done any
brazing and my gas welding experience adds up to minutes, not years, so I really
don't know much about this stuff. What's the difference between a welding tip
and a brazing tip?

By the way, I found out something. On a regulator, when the secondary pressure
slowly creeps up, I was told it is always a bad seat. I also have a pair of old
Smith regulators, and the oxygen reg had this creep. The torch repair place said
they'd rebuild it, that it's massively worth it since when this was made it was
Smith's top of the line regulator, but that it was designed to have a
user-replaceable seat. Even has a little place where you unscrew a cap and lo
and behold there are 2 extra seats! I was able to fix my own seat and now this
regulator set works perfectly again. Really nice too, only a little dirty. I'm
writing this about replacing the regulator seat because I believe I remember
recently reading where someone had this exact problem.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) What's the difference between a welding tip
and a brazing tip? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
None. Just use a tip that produces the right amount of heat for the job.

R. Zimmerman

FYI The worst thing you can do with regulars is leave them set and simply
turn off the high pressure valve on the tank. When you turn on the tank
with the pressures already set the little regulator valve is hammered closed
with such force that it damages the seat.
Smith are good quality.
Randy

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

granpaw

"R. Zimmerman" wrote in

FYI The worst thing you can do with regulars is leave them set and
simply turn off the high pressure valve on the tank. When you turn on
the tank with the pressures already set the little regulator valve is
hammered closed with such force that it damages the seat.
Smith are good quality.
Randy

Randy, could you please expand on this statement with the correct procedure
to use. I never realized that about shutting down the tanks.

granpaw

Snag

granpaw wrote:
"R. Zimmerman" wrote in

FYI The worst thing you can do with regulars is leave them set and
simply turn off the high pressure valve on the tank. When you turn
on the tank with the pressures already set the little regulator
valve is hammered closed with such force that it damages the seat.
Smith are good quality.
Randy

Randy, could you please expand on this statement with the correct
procedure to use. I never realized that about shutting down the tanks.

granpaw

No expansion needed . Just turn the handle until the outlet pressure is
zero - you'll need to open the valves on the torch body too ... Do it before
or after you close the tank valve , just remember to do it . Your regulators
will thank you !

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Ken Sterling

"R. Zimmerman" wrote in

FYI The worst thing you can do with regulars is leave them set and
simply turn off the high pressure valve on the tank. When you turn on
the tank with the pressures already set the little regulator valve is
hammered closed with such force that it damages the seat.
Smith are good quality.
Randy

Randy, could you please expand on this statement with the correct procedure
to use. I never realized that about shutting down the tanks.

granpaw

I've had a set of Airco stuff to about 30 years... and never problems.
When finished welding....
1. Turn off both tank valves.
2. Open Acet torch valve.
3. Bleed off pressure.
4. Close Acet torch valve.
5. Back off Acet regulator handle until "free wheeling"
6. Open Oxy torch valve
7. Bleed off pressure.
8. Close Oxy torch valve.
9. Back off Oxy regulator handle until "free wheeling".
This takes pressure off everything and has been working
well for me for years.
HTH
Ken.

R. Zimmerman

And that is why Ken still has a good set of torches after thirty years. I
have given up at work trying to do this. Average life of a set of
regulators I would guess is around two years.
While I am wearing the "Grumpy Old Fart" hat. The hand valves should be
closed LIGHTLY. People tend to be ham fisted and then whine and complain
because their hand valves will not seal.
Randy

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
[...]

granpaw

Thanks for the info.
maybe now my torches will last longer than me.
granpaw

difference in temperature Ron UK diy 1 October 5th 05 08:31 PM
plasterboard / drywall - what's the difference? newbietothis UK diy 3 September 5th 05 10:49 AM
Is there a difference between dish washer discharge and laundry machine discharge? orangetrader Home Repair 3 February 25th 05 04:43 AM
Ball valves - whats the difference Alan Campbell UK diy 5 March 24th 04 01:06 PM
10-32 thread and 3/16-32 thread. What's the difference? Tom Kay Metalworking 7 March 5th 04 06:47 AM