orangetrader

Default Is there a difference between dish washer discharge and laundry machine discharge?

I posted a while back asking to see if there could be any potential issue if
I hook my laundry machine's drain to discharge via the kitchen drain pipe.
Some posters replied and said there could be venting problems or "sud"
issues (what is "sud"?) because of the flow rate. So my plan was to find
another way to drain the washing machine.

Recently we considered adding a washing machine, and the drainage issue come
up again. How will you drain that, and everyone recommended just hooking
the drain pipe to the garbage disposal. No concern on vent or sud.

What is the difference here? Isn't the dish washer also discharging soapy
water with sud? Will it not dump a large volume of water in a short time
down that drain? I need to understand because there must be a difference I
failed to recognize.

Thanks,

Tony Hwang

orangetrader wrote:
I posted a while back asking to see if there could be any potential issue if
I hook my laundry machine's drain to discharge via the kitchen drain pipe.
Some posters replied and said there could be venting problems or "sud"
issues (what is "sud"?) because of the flow rate. So my plan was to find
another way to drain the washing machine.

Recently we considered adding a washing machine, and the drainage issue come
up again. How will you drain that, and everyone recommended just hooking
the drain pipe to the garbage disposal. No concern on vent or sud.

What is the difference here? Isn't the dish washer also discharging soapy
water with sud? Will it not dump a large volume of water in a short time
down that drain? I need to understand because there must be a difference I
failed to recognize.

Thanks,

Hi,
Sud = foam. Garbage disposal? Do you mean garburator? Garbage disposal
has drain? I guess it's typo. Dish washer detergent does not foam. If it
does, big trouble. Try to clean dish using regular soap, LOL! Also dish
washer will discharge food particles(organic matter). Are you installing
washer in the kitchen?
Tony
Edwin Pawlowski

"orangetrader" wrote in message

Recently we considered adding a washing machine, and the drainage issue
come
up again. How will you drain that, and everyone recommended just hooking
the drain pipe to the garbage disposal. No concern on vent or sud.

What is the difference here? Isn't the dish washer also discharging soapy
water with sud? Will it not dump a large volume of water in a short time
down that drain? I need to understand because there must be a difference
failed to recognize.

The drain on the DW is smaller than the drain on a washing machine. There is
also less water involved. If the garbage disposal is filled and the water
does not drain, chances are the sink will hold all the water. It would not
hold the water from a washer. Since the plug for the DW connection is
smaller than the hose of the washer, it would not drain in time either.

It may be possible to tap into the same drain line, but after the disposal.

orangetrader

Yes that is what I mean.

The kitchen drain has a garbage disposal, then a P-trap that connects to the
wall, the wall has a large drain. That is where I plan to connect the
washer discharge to.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Adding a dish washer orangetrader Home Repair 6 February 22nd 05 11:56 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 09:59 PM
live dish washer Geoff UK diy 10 June 4th 04 09:55 AM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Repair 0 November 28th 03 10:01 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 10:01 PM