Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler Ernie Leimkuhler is offline

Default Acetylene welding question

In article K1Npi.2101$Ok5.933@trndny02,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

I sometimes to get an occasional pop while I am welding. BUT, what is it
when I get rapid machine gun fire pops that continue until I pull my torch
away. Using Victor gauges, Victor torch & tip (#3). Gauges are set to 7pis
acetylene and 10 phi oxygen. Note: I am trying to heat (so I can bend) and
not weld.
BTW, same thing happens when trying to use a Rosebud tip, except much worse.
I do use higher settings with the Rosebud.

Clues of what I am doing wrong appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

The rapid fire is what happens when the tip itself gets hot enough that
the gasses combust inside.
The solution is to cool the tip in water or use a larger tip.