Geo. Anderson

Default Confused which socket/recepticle I have for my welder

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

Different amperage rating almost certainly. Read the fine print on the
sockets or at the hardware store.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 07:21:05 -0400, Michael Shaffer
wrote:

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

I've heard lots of conflicting explanations for the weird plugs on
dryers. something about local codes or manufacturer's propietary
hardware or something. in any case, the plug you put on your tool has
to have equal or greater capacity than the draw of the tool.
Don Bruder

In article _Lzmc.25134$Z%5.7672@okepread01,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

The "why" is simple: Different plugs for different amperages. A 30 mp
plug/socket isn't the same as a 50 amp plug/socket, and neither one will
fit a 100 amp socket.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

I can't read the rating on the sockets (not sharp enough focus), and I
can't remember the blade configuration to amperage mapping for sure, but
I *THINK* the welder plug (and bottom socket) are for a thirty amp 220
circuit. I'm pretty sure the dryer plug should be a fifty amp circuit.

(Or do I have them backwards, guys? Help me out here...)

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

The dryer receptacle with the 'L' ground is a NEMA 10-30R
receptacle, rated 30 Amps 125/250 Volts 3-pole 3-wire.

If you want a male plug to put on the welder extension cord, you
need to get a Leviton 9332-P or 287-T plug - if your local store
doesn't sell Leviton they should be able to cross the number to Eagle
or P&S.

The welder receptacle with the 'U' ground appears to be a NEMA 7-50R
50A 277V receptacle - but since the pictures are out of focus I can't
be sure. This is an odd plug to find on a 240V welder (unless it will
also run on 277V which is usually found in factories), good thing they
sent you a receptacle with the welder.

Most US welders use a NEMA 6-50R 50A 250V receptacle - the same one
used on older electric ranges.

You want to really complicate things, the ranges and dryers in new
houses (and old ones in mobile homes) need to have 4-pin receptacles
with separate neutral & ground connections to meet current codes, so
your adapter cord may not work in the neighbor's dryer receptacle.
The 4-wire dryer receptacle is NEMA 14-30P and ranges are NEMA 14-50P.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
PJ

Michael Shaffer typed:
The dryer recepticle says 30 amp but there's nothing on the cord.

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord
I have but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the
dryer one different from the welder one?

The "why" is simple: Different plugs for different amperages. A 30
mp plug/socket isn't the same as a 50 amp plug/socket, and neither
one will fit a 100 amp socket.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

I can't read the rating on the sockets (not sharp enough focus),
and I can't remember the blade configuration to amperage mapping
for sure, but I *THINK* the welder plug (and bottom socket) are
for a thirty amp 220 circuit. I'm pretty sure the dryer plug
should be a fifty amp circuit.

(Or do I have them backwards, guys? Help me out here...)

Try - http://www.mcmaster.com/ Page 698 Look at the chart near the top
of the page. The plug is style 7-15. It's 277 volt 15 amp (220/240V -
15A) unit. Item # 7120K52. The outlet is item # 7120K35.

If you go to the item number in the list and put your mouse pointer on
the item number, you will see a clear image of the plugs and
receptacles.

Just an observation: You clearly do not know what you are doing. That
is very apparent with your questions. Call an electrician and have
your electrical service installed by a pro. You are playing "you bet
your life".. IMHO..

Michael Shaffer

If I installed an outlet in my garage for the welder what would be the
best amperage recepticle to use? Here is the welder, it's not very big

Would 30 amps be big enough?

[...]

PJ

Michael Shaffer typed:
If I installed an outlet in my garage for the welder what would
be the best amperage recepticle to use? Here is the welder, it's
not very big

Would 30 amps be big enough?

The seller on eBay did not disclose very much about the unit. He said
you can get the information on the internet. Without the make and
model number - fat chance..!!

Read the name plate on the welder. What is the manufacturer name and
model number? What is the input voltage and input amperage?

I suspect it is a very small welder that draws 15 amps on 240 volts.
(Based on the plug - 277 volts) Sure, you can run it on a 30 amp
circuit. You can run it on a 100 amp circuit also. I wouldn't as I
would not want to receive the Darwin Award for 2004..!! Circuit
breakers are there for a purpose.

Don Bruder

In article RjEmc.25186$Z%5.14794@okepread01,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

If I installed an outlet in my garage for the welder what would be the
best amperage recepticle to use? Here is the welder, it's not very big

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4300244 421&r
d=1

Would 30 amps be big enough?

Not if the seller's "It uses 230 volts @ 110 amps." statement is
correct. Which it can't be... That little guy ain't "industrial gear" by
any stretch of the imagination, and a full-blown industrial setting is
about the only place I'd expect to be able to find 110 amps on a 220
cable.

Much more likely, it's looking for a 15-50 amp service. A 240 @ 15 amp
circuit would make perfect sense according to how transformers (Which is
basically all little cheapo "buzz-box" welders like this one are) work,
easily allowing the amperage to be stepped up to the 110 amps this unit
claims to put out by stepping the voltage down to around 20-30 volts,
give or take a bit.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
response, see http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html Short
form: I'm trashing EVERYTHING that doesn't contain a password in the subject.
wallster

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

If you're not using the dryer outlet for a dryer anymore and the outlet has
enough amperage to run your welder, simply replace the recepticle with one
that mates to your welder. If you're still using the dryer and plan on
unplugging the dryer and plugging in the welder, I would probably change the
welder plug. My welder uses a nema 6-50 plug so I replaced the recepticle
with nema 6-50R and it worked fine. I dont have confidence in extension
cords, drop it once or twice, it arcs and burns the house down. Chances are
it wont happen, but i wouldn't chance it, easier to replace the plug.
Good luck,
walt
ps. check the wiring at the box, mine was aluminum wire that was all ****ty
so i replaced it with copper. Match gauge of wire to amperage of breaker.

jim rozen

In article _Lzmc.25134$Z%5.7672@okepread01, Michael Shaffer says...

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

Because either they are two different amperage ratings, and
are not supposed to mate, or they are widely different age
NEMA devices and at least one is very obsolete.

If you cannot decide what connectors to use, hire an electrician
to install an outlet for your welder. This would eliminate
some of the confusion.

Jim

please reply to:

Jeff Dantzler

Based on the picture of your welder, I'm assuming it's a
240V stick welder. You should be able to get fair use out
of a 30 A dryer receptacle without popping the breaker.

Just make an adaptor cord with a box on one end that has the
appropriate receptacle for your welder plug and put a plug
on the other end that will fit into your existing dryer
receptacle. It's not rocket science and your local big box
store or electric supply house will have all the parts you need.

For cord, use SJ 10/3 (10 gauge wire for 30 A).

Here is a cord I made:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...elder_cord.JPG

Your welder has a different style plug than the receptacle shown.

Dryer plug ~ $8, box and receptacle ~ $ 10, 30' of 10/3 cord ~ $30.
The wire strain relief is a good idea, but harder to find and
expensive. I found mine at a supply house, but it was $30. You could
use a less fancy one and just try not to abuse the cord.

Cobbling together a less safe method is... well less safe.

Have fun!

Jeff Dantzler