wallster

Default Confused which socket/recepticle I have for my welder

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord I have
but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the dryer one
different from the welder one?

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

If you're not using the dryer outlet for a dryer anymore and the outlet has
enough amperage to run your welder, simply replace the recepticle with one
that mates to your welder. If you're still using the dryer and plan on
unplugging the dryer and plugging in the welder, I would probably change the
welder plug. My welder uses a nema 6-50 plug so I replaced the recepticle
with nema 6-50R and it worked fine. I dont have confidence in extension
cords, drop it once or twice, it arcs and burns the house down. Chances are
it wont happen, but i wouldn't chance it, easier to replace the plug.
Good luck,
walt
ps. check the wiring at the box, mine was aluminum wire that was all ****ty
so i replaced it with copper. Match gauge of wire to amperage of breaker.