Michael Shaffer

Default Confused which socket/recepticle I have for my welder

If I installed an outlet in my garage for the welder what would be the
best amperage recepticle to use? Here is the welder, it's not very big

Would 30 amps be big enough?

PJ wrote:

Michael Shaffer typed:

The dryer recepticle says 30 amp but there's nothing on the cord.

Don Bruder wrote:

In article _Lzmc.25134$Z%5.7672@okepread01,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm trying to find the right socket to put on the extension cord
I have but the recepticle on my dryer is different. Why is the
dryer one different from the welder one?

The "why" is simple: Different plugs for different amperages. A 30
mp plug/socket isn't the same as a 50 amp plug/socket, and neither
one will fit a 100 amp socket.

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/wtf.jpg

I can't read the rating on the sockets (not sharp enough focus),
and I can't remember the blade configuration to amperage mapping
for sure, but I *THINK* the welder plug (and bottom socket) are
for a thirty amp 220 circuit. I'm pretty sure the dryer plug
should be a fifty amp circuit.

(Or do I have them backwards, guys? Help me out here...)

Try - http://www.mcmaster.com/ Page 698 Look at the chart near the top
of the page. The plug is style 7-15. It's 277 volt 15 amp (220/240V -
15A) unit. Item # 7120K52. The outlet is item # 7120K35.

If you go to the item number in the list and put your mouse pointer on
the item number, you will see a clear image of the plugs and
receptacles.

Just an observation: You clearly do not know what you are doing. That
is very apparent with your questions. Call an electrician and have
your electrical service installed by a pro. You are playing "you bet
your life".. IMHO..