Don Bruder

Default Confused which socket/recepticle I have for my welder

In article RjEmc.25186$Z%5.14794@okepread01,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

If I installed an outlet in my garage for the welder what would be the
best amperage recepticle to use? Here is the welder, it's not very big

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4300244 421&r
d=1

Would 30 amps be big enough?

Not if the seller's "It uses 230 volts @ 110 amps." statement is
correct. Which it can't be... That little guy ain't "industrial gear" by
any stretch of the imagination, and a full-blown industrial setting is
about the only place I'd expect to be able to find 110 amps on a 220
cable.

Much more likely, it's looking for a 15-50 amp service. A 240 @ 15 amp
circuit would make perfect sense according to how transformers (Which is
basically all little cheapo "buzz-box" welders like this one are) work,
easily allowing the amperage to be stepped up to the 110 amps this unit
claims to put out by stepping the voltage down to around 20-30 volts,
give or take a bit.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no