Tom Gardner

Default Garage welder wiring questions

How far is the new outlet from the main service entrance panel? When in
doubt, you can't use wire that's too heavy.
50 amps at 50' = 6ga. 100 amps = 4ga.
50 amps at 100' = 4 ga. 100 amps = 1ga.
50 amps at 150' = 2 ga. 100 amps = 00ga.

I'm sure that better electrical people will respond. Is the garage
attached? Are you running wire overhead? Is the outlet the only load you're
questioning or is the whole garage on it's own circuit?

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
I am wiring up my new garage. I will mostly use this for working on
cars and motorcycles, some occasional woodwork, and I have had the
need to use a welder before. I do not own a welder now, I usually
borrow one or use one at a different location.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to put in an outlet for a
welder now, before I have the insulation and drywall put in. But I am
unsure what type of plug to use, and what size wire to run.

Maybe I will just run the wires to the outlet, but not even put in a
recepticle for now. That way I can put in whatever type recepticle my
welder takes, if I ever get a welder.

So, 10 gauge? 10-2 or 10-3? Larger? What is the common welder size?
(in amps?)

Thanks for any input.

-Ryan

Keith Marshall

What is the common welder size? (in amps?)

I noticed that no one has mentioned that it depends on the type of welder
you end up with.

For example, a Lincoln AC 225 or AC/DC 225/125 takes a 50 amp outlet. I
think my SP-170T (an excellent Lincoln MIG welder) calls for 30 amps but I'm
not sure because I plugged it into the outlet that was already there for my
old AC 225.

But now I also have an old IdealArc 250/250 which we use for arc and TIG
welding and it calls for 90 Amps! We're able to use it in the 50 Amp outlet
but only at about half capacity. You probably think it unlikely that you
would ever have anything this large (I certainly did!) but at $500 it was a
lot cheaper than a newer inverter-based TIG welder that uses less current so
it's worth considering. :-) You'd be surprised what kind of deals you can
get if you go to a few auctions.

In all likelihood though, a 50 amp outlet should do for just about anything
you'll ever want and even with the large unit we can TIG 1/8" steel and
aluminum without any trouble. I'll let someone else tell you the proper
wire size.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
[...]

Good advice. I've purchased several TIG welders at auction
over the past 25 years and have never paid more than $400
or so. The latest is an Airco square wave that was only a
few years old when I got it.

These machines typically require a 100A circuit to run at
full capacity. As Keith says, you can do most things with a
smaller feed, but if you want to weld 1/4"+ aluminum you'll
want the 100A circuit.

I'd at least run wire large enough to upgrade to 100A in
the future, even if you install a smaller breaker now.
(Make sure the breaker lugs will handle the larger wire.)
There are special exceptions that allow the use of smaller
than normal conductors for welders, but the actual
selection depends on the duty cycle of the welder. Unless
the length of the run is very long, I'd just run wire with
100A ampacity.

Ned Simmons
Ryan

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message ...
How far is the new outlet from the main service entrance panel? When in
doubt, you can't use wire that's too heavy.
50 amps at 50' = 6ga. 100 amps = 4ga.
50 amps at 100' = 4 ga. 100 amps = 1ga.
50 amps at 150' = 2 ga. 100 amps = 00ga.

I'm sure that better electrical people will respond. Is the garage
attached? Are you running wire overhead? Is the outlet the only load you're
questioning or is the whole garage on it's own circuit?

The garage is unattached. It has it's own 60 amp subpanel (I tried to
talk to the electrician about a larger one, but he convinced me I
would never need more than 60 amps). The welder outlet will be about
4 feet from the subpanel, using probably 6 feet of wire.

So 6 ga. would be ok for a 50 amp outlet, and maybe even 8 ga if my
local code allows it for a welder.

Thanks for the tips.

-Ryan
Ted Edwards

Ryan wrote:

The garage is unattached. It has it's own 60 amp subpanel (I tried to
talk to the electrician about a larger one, but he convinced me I
would never need more than 60 amps).

Pity. The next size up would have allowed for a 60 amp welder outlet
plus lighting, etc. As it is, you may wish to install only a 50A
breaker for your welder. If you have a 60A main and a 60A welder, it's
questionable which will trip if the welder pulls a bit much. This could
leave you in the dark.

Ted