borrow

Default Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a
(probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with
some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install
a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's
a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close,
light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit.
So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) /
how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be
prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly
B.
BigWallop

"borrow" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a
(probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with
some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install
a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's
a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close,
light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit.
So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) /
how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be
prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly
B.

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in
single sheath ?

borrow

"BigWallop" wrote in message news:Gdhqb.1663

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in
single sheath ?

Two core bell wire
BillR

borrow wrote:
Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a
(probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with
some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install
a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's
a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close,
light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit.
So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) /
how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be
prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly
B.

I have had a Chamberlain door opener for more than 10 years, one of my
favourite gadgets.
I don't have the fancy switch you describe. For local operation in the
garage I wired a bell push with twin bell wire to the 2 contacts provided.
Push the button, door opens; push it again door closes.
As my garage is 4m from the house it was much easier to just get another
remote and mount it with velcro pads on a window frame in the house. Its
important that anyone operating the door from a distance should have a clear
view of the door. I once brought the door down on an open hatchback door
because I didn't check properly.

borrow

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in
single sheath ?

Just ordinary bell wire I understand.

Doordoc

"BillR" wrote in message ...
borrow wrote:
[...]

Good advice! A garage door opener should never be operated by any type
of device where the door is not in plain view.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
borrow

Good advice - Many thanks all.

B.

Confused 120v & 240v Wiring - Please Help James UK diy 4 November 2nd 03 06:14 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
Isolation switch wiring convention r.galvin UK diy 13 October 1st 03 05:34 AM
Wiring a light switch JohnB UK diy 2 September 5th 03 10:54 PM
Help wiring a dimmer switch please. JohnB UK diy 6 July 30th 03 12:19 PM