DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/3333-switch-wiring-garage-door-opener.html)

borrow November 6th 03 12:06 AM

Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a
(probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with
some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install
a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's
a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close,
light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit.
So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) /
how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be
prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly
B.

BigWallop November 6th 03 01:12 AM

Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

"borrow" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a
(probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with
some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install
a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's
a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close,
light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit.
So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) /
how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be
prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly
B.

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in
single sheath ?

borrow November 6th 03 02:04 PM

"BigWallop" wrote in message news:Gdhqb.1663

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in
single sheath ?

Two core bell wire

BillR November 6th 03 02:16 PM

borrow wrote:
Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a
(probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with
some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install
a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's
a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close,
light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit.
So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) /
how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be
prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly
B.

I have had a Chamberlain door opener for more than 10 years, one of my
favourite gadgets.
I don't have the fancy switch you describe. For local operation in the
garage I wired a bell push with twin bell wire to the 2 contacts provided.
Push the button, door opens; push it again door closes.
As my garage is 4m from the house it was much easier to just get another
remote and mount it with velcro pads on a window frame in the house. Its
important that anyone operating the door from a distance should have a clear
view of the door. I once brought the door down on an open hatchback door
because I didn't check properly.

borrow November 6th 03 04:32 PM

Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in
single sheath ?

Just ordinary bell wire I understand.

Doordoc November 6th 03 11:54 PM

"BillR" wrote in message ...
borrow wrote:
[...]

Good advice! A garage door opener should never be operated by any type
of device where the door is not in plain view.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Barley Twist November 7th 03 12:15 AM

On 6 Nov 2003 15:54:00 -0800, (Doordoc) wrote:

Good advice! A garage door opener should never be operated by any type
of device where the door is not in plain view.

When my roller shutter was installed I was warned about leaving things
in the way - told a horror story of a bicycle that was left propped up
against the door opening and had its top tube converted into a "V".

I hadn't stowed a ladder properly on the hooks just inside the door
once and the shutter had no problem lifting the ladder by pressing
down on the short part extending beyond the hook - at most 18" . The
ladder is 12 feet long and a "trade" aluminium one.

I've also been caught a couple of times by having the remote in my
pocket and the button getting pressed with the tension of the fabric.
I now switch the power off when I'm working around the entrance and
the shutter is raised.

Barley Twist
(Please put out the cats to reply direct)

borrow November 7th 03 10:06 AM

Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

Good advice - Many thanks all.

B.