Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Default where to get scrap in NorthEast?

Hi,

I was just told from a friend in St. Louis that he can get
hot-rolled steel plate at scrap prices of $.25/lb. I also know another
who told of getting 6" steel rod stock at $.50/lb. Clearly I'm in the
wrong part of the country, or just calling all the wrong businesses!

I'm willing to drive a few hours on a one-time trip to get lots of
steel at such prices if I can find them. I'm in Cambridge, MA, but
anywhere within the NorthEast or even slightly beyond is fair game if
it means that I'll save hundreds of dollars if not close to $1000 (I'll
be on the same budget, but I'll be able to build two machines for the
price of one :-) ). It's ALMOST worth the 24-hr drive to St. Louis,
but surely there's a place closer.

Can you direct me?

I know of one local scrap dealer, but they mostly have genuine scrap,
crushed up fences and torn sheet metals; little plate stock and none of
it at all flat. My friend implied that what he found at scrap prices
was in fact usable stock for machining, not bent or rusted half
through. I'm looking for steel plate between 1/2" and 1" thick.

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest
-Bernard Arnest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

I don't know about large quantities in your area, but for smaller bits and
pieces, take a drive over the bridge and talk to someone at the Beacon Park
(CSX) rail yard. Lots of scrap metal in the rail yards and 1/2 to 1" is
quite common.
"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On 25 May 2006 09:26:55 -0700, "Bernard Arnest"
wrote:

[...]

You might try Logan Steel in Meriden CT. http://logansteel.com/

In the bargain barn they have vast quantities of w wide variety of
sizes and shapes. Mostly surface rusted but perfectly good
underneath. Last time I was there I paid .75/Lb if I recall
correctly.

I think that they have Saturday hours till noon but be sure to check
on that.

It is a bit of a hike from the Peoples Republic of Cambridge but if
you are getting a good load perhaps it will be worth the trip. When I
am going up to a NEMES meeting I often buzz up to Woburn to Metal
Source so you are not the only one looking for a bargain.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

What are you looking for? I know a very old man looking to get rid of some
larger stuff, I beams and what not. $1.00 per foot. I have been able to
work with a local steel building company and picked up 4 x 4 x 1/4 for about
$2.00 per foot they dump anything under 7 feet. Most is just to dam big. I
live in New Milford CT
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Isaacson's sells new steel. They are a long way from you (Berlin, NH). I
hesitate to guess what steel is going for right now, but the last time I
bought they were very competitive. They deliver to my area (Brownfield,
Maine), I've bought from them several times.

This is silly, because I shop at this place frequenty. I have no idea
what the name is, but they have used steel and new steel. I think I paid
about 35 cents per pound for scrap last time. They have plenty of scrap
plate sitting around, most of it flat. They also have new steel at
pretty reasonable prices (for instance, they don't charge to torch cut).
They are in South Portland, Maine on Running Hill Road. I can give you
better directions if needed.

Other places I've heard of but know no more about than I've written:
S&S Metals, Londonderry, NH "still has some piles"
Reisner's, Clinton, MA "an industrial scrapyard. Open to scroungers on
Wednesdays after 3pm"
Haverhill Steel from context, MA, possibly Haverhill "lots of scrap you
can walk around and pick up what you like"
Harding Metals, Northwood, NH "LETS YOU PICK TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT.tHEY
CHARGE 4O CENTS A POUND"

from online yellowpages:
Punsky Scrap Iron, Sanford, ME
Emery's Junkyard, South Berwick, ME
You'll have to watch the line wrap on this one:
http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgidi...&search=Search
or just go to the root URL and search for scrap near Cambridge, MA.

If you're up this way, you're welcome to stop by.

Steve Smith
Brownfield, Maine

Bernard Arnest wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Steve Smith wrote:

This is silly, because I shop at this place frequenty. I have no idea
what the name is, but they have used steel and new steel. I think I paid
about 35 cents per pound for scrap last time. They have plenty of scrap
plate sitting around, most of it flat. They also have new steel at
pretty reasonable prices (for instance, they don't charge to torch cut).
They are in South Portland, Maine on Running Hill Road. I can give you
better directions if needed.

Steve Smith
Brownfield, Maine

That would be Goldstein Steel. Nice folks to deal with.

Any good local sources for aluminum or red metals?

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eide

Ever tried MidCity Steel? They have new and scrap.
http://www.midcitysteel.com/

Eide

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

John Martin wrote in article
. com...

That would be Goldstein Steel. Nice folks to deal with.

Any good local sources for aluminum or red metals?

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

I've bought a LOT of aluminum (rounds, shapes, plate up to quarter-inch)
from Mid Maine Metal Recyclers on Washington Street (Formerly Exit 12 off
the Turnpike) in Auburn.......$1.00/pound.

Marden's in Waterville often has aluminum angles and rounds at per-piece
prices that work out to around $1.00/pound.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

I live in the Mpls Mn area. There are plenty of fabrication shops
around and they all have drops of some sort. I would look them up in
your area and go visit them. Sometimes, we get several thousands of
pounds free, just for going dumpster-diving and sometimes we have to
pay. I know of one fab shop that works with lots of plate up to about
1/2" and they pile drops onto pallets from time to time with a fixed
price per pallet.

Pete Stanaitis

Bernard Arnest wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Thanks for all the advice! I'll draw up plans in the next 2 weeks, see
exactly what I need, and then see what I find :-) Especially for the
base, where it just needs to be stiff and massive with no precision.