Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default where to get scrap in NorthEast?

I don't know about large quantities in your area, but for smaller bits and
pieces, take a drive over the bridge and talk to someone at the Beacon Park
(CSX) rail yard. Lots of scrap metal in the rail yards and 1/2 to 1" is
quite common.
"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I was just told from a friend in St. Louis that he can get
hot-rolled steel plate at scrap prices of $.25/lb. I also know another
who told of getting 6" steel rod stock at $.50/lb. Clearly I'm in the
wrong part of the country, or just calling all the wrong businesses!

I'm willing to drive a few hours on a one-time trip to get lots of
steel at such prices if I can find them. I'm in Cambridge, MA, but
anywhere within the NorthEast or even slightly beyond is fair game if
it means that I'll save hundreds of dollars if not close to $1000 (I'll
be on the same budget, but I'll be able to build two machines for the
price of one :-) ). It's ALMOST worth the 24-hr drive to St. Louis,
but surely there's a place closer.

Can you direct me?

I know of one local scrap dealer, but they mostly have genuine scrap,
crushed up fences and torn sheet metals; little plate stock and none of
it at all flat. My friend implied that what he found at scrap prices
was in fact usable stock for machining, not bent or rusted half
through. I'm looking for steel plate between 1/2" and 1" thick.

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest
-Bernard Arnest