Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Old Guy

Default Identify this tool

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

"Old Guy" wrote in message
news
Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Best guess: a pocket-sized oil can.

The cupped plate would serve two purposes: to provide a means of pumping the
oil and, when upright, to catch dribbles from the tip.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Old Guy wrote:

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Oh, happy day!!!!

They've finally located my missing Q-38 explosive space modulator!!!!

After all this time, I'll finally be able to get the earth-shattering
KABOOM that stupid rabbit tricked me out of!

Runs toward Dayton doing a happy-dance Snoopy would envy

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

For sure it's a pump oiler. I have/had one just like it. I hope I didn't
toss it, IIRC it leaked and I haven't seen it lately. Now I'll go nuts
looking for it 'cuz it's a valuable museum piece.
Tom
wrote in message
Looks like an oiler to me.

On Sun, 21 May 2006 21:35:10 -0400, Old Guy wrote:

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Old Guy

Thanks to everyone. Our guess was an oiler. We thought it looked
like it would pump, but of course couldn't get hold of it to tell. I
plan to send word to the museum of what it is so they will know next
time someone asks.

Later,
Ed

On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:08:14 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

For sure it's a pump oiler. I have/had one just like it. I hope I didn't
toss it, IIRC it leaked and I haven't seen it lately. Now I'll go nuts
looking for it 'cuz it's a valuable museum piece.
Tom
wrote in message
.. .
Looks like an oiler to me.

On Sun, 21 May 2006 21:35:10 -0400, Old Guy wrote:

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Sun, 21 May 2006 21:35:10 -0400, Old Guy wrote:

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed,

Sure looks like a "shirt-pocket" pen oiler. A bit more in the frame
of a pix would help determine size, but it does look like to me that
there is even a "clip" visible on the cap, to keep it from falling out
of your pocket.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Small oil can, similar ones used to be shipped along with movie
projectors, some sewing machines and some movie cameras. For very
light oil. I've got a couple similar in design, not as good a shape.
The plating tended to wear if kept in pocket or toolbox.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Kinda looks like one of those scary proctologist or urologist's tools.

Steve