DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Identify this tool (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/162806-identify-tool.html)

Old Guy May 22nd 06 02:35 AM

Identify this tool

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

RAM³ May 22nd 06 02:54 AM

Identify this tool

"Old Guy" wrote in message
Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Best guess: a pocket-sized oil can.

The cupped plate would serve two purposes: to provide a means of pumping the
oil and, when upright, to catch dribbles from the tip.

Don Bruder May 22nd 06 04:06 AM

Identify this tool

In article ,
Old Guy wrote:

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Oh, happy day!!!!

They've finally located my missing Q-38 explosive space modulator!!!!

After all this time, I'll finally be able to get the earth-shattering
KABOOM that stupid rabbit tricked me out of!

Runs toward Dayton doing a happy-dance Snoopy would envy

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Tom Wait May 22nd 06 08:08 PM

Identify this tool

For sure it's a pump oiler. I have/had one just like it. I hope I didn't
toss it, IIRC it leaked and I haven't seen it lately. Now I'll go nuts
looking for it 'cuz it's a valuable museum piece.
Tom

Old Guy May 22nd 06 09:28 PM

Identify this tool

Thanks to everyone. Our guess was an oiler. We thought it looked
like it would pump, but of course couldn't get hold of it to tell. I
plan to send word to the museum of what it is so they will know next
time someone asks.

Later,
Ed

On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:08:14 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

For sure it's a pump oiler. I have/had one just like it. I hope I didn't
toss it, IIRC it leaked and I haven't seen it lately. Now I'll go nuts
looking for it 'cuz it's a valuable museum piece.
Tom
.. .

Brian Lawson May 23rd 06 04:11 AM

Identify this tool

On Sun, 21 May 2006 21:35:10 -0400, Old Guy wrote:

Guys,

At the Wright Brother's shop in Dayton, this tool was in a display
case. No one there knew what it was. I'll bet one of you guys will
know....

http://users.vnet.net/egriffin/tool.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed,

Sure looks like a "shirt-pocket" pen oiler. A bit more in the frame
of a pix would help determine size, but it does look like to me that
there is even a "clip" visible on the cap, to keep it from falling out
of your pocket.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

[email protected] May 23rd 06 06:24 PM

Identify this tool

Small oil can, similar ones used to be shipped along with movie
projectors, some sewing machines and some movie cameras. For very
light oil. I've got a couple similar in design, not as good a shape.
The plating tended to wear if kept in pocket or toolbox.

Stan

Steve B May 23rd 06 07:08 PM

Identify this tool

Kinda looks like one of those scary proctologist or urologist's tools.

Steve