Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
brandon26

Default General questions about aluminium

Hi.
I have to investigate how to weld (or join using other methods)
aluminium tubes together. I know that this is very difficult because
of the melting point of the material, but it is possible and has been
done before.
Can anyone provide further information on how to weld aluminium tubes
together or provide the address of a website for reference?
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

brandon26 wrote:

Hi.
I have to investigate how to weld (or join using other methods)
aluminium tubes together. I know that this is very difficult because
of the melting point of the material, but it is possible and has been
done before.
Can anyone provide further information on how to weld aluminium tubes
together or provide the address of a website for reference?
Thanks

Never heard of google? You can type just about anything in there and
get results.

Do a couple searches. Start with "welding aluminum tubing" then try
"alternatives to welding aluminum tubing", you could even try searching
for stuff like "building aluminum bicycle frames" or "structural bonding
of aluminum tubing" or "riveted tube construction techniques"

Have fun with your homework!

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

If only there was some way of heating up an area between the two
pieces, so both would become molten, then solidifying into a single
unit. But is that possible due to the melting temperature? It think it
melts at 2 bazillion degrees, or something like that...

Perhaps someone could construct some kind of tool that could use an
electric arc as a heat source and inert gas as a shield... I guess you
could use tungsten as an electrode and argon as an inert gas source.
You could call it tungsten inert gas welding, or "TIG" for short.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Polymer Man" wrote: (clip) You could call it tungsten inert gas welding,
or "TIG" for short.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you can assume that if that would work, they would already be doing
it. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

brandon26 wrote:

Hi.
I have to investigate how to weld (or join using other methods)
aluminium tubes together. I know that this is very difficult because
of the melting point of the material, but it is possible and has been
done before.
Can anyone provide further information on how to weld aluminium tubes
together or provide the address of a website for reference?
Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tig_welding

Now, go out and play with the other kids.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

If you call welding aluminum difficult, wait until you try some difficult
metal to weld! Aluminum is easy and takes a nice weld very easily.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DOC

Now, now. Stop bragging. You're making us amateurs
look bad! :-)

DOC

Cause they can't fly.

"Bob May" wrote in message
. ..
If you call welding aluminum difficult, wait until you try some difficult
metal to weld! Aluminum is easy and takes a nice weld very easily.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Polymer Man wrote:

If only there was some way of heating up an area between the two
pieces, so both would become molten, then solidifying into a single
unit. But is that possible due to the melting temperature? It think it
melts at 2 bazillion degrees, or something like that...

HUH? Aluminum alloys melt at somewhere near 600 C / 1200 F, quite
low compared to steel, for instance.

Perhaps someone could construct some kind of tool that could use an
electric arc as a heat source and inert gas as a shield... I guess you
could use tungsten as an electrode and argon as an inert gas source.
You could call it tungsten inert gas welding, or "TIG" for short.....

Oh, OK, you've already heard of this, then.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:11:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Polymer Man" wrote: (clip) You could call it tungsten inert gas welding,
or "TIG" for short.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you can assume that if that would work, they would already be doing
it. ;-)

This will never work. If tungsten carries enough current to glow
then it must be in a vacuum. You know that if you break a lightbulb
the tungsten filament instantly blows out, right?

Secondly, argon got its name from its electrical behavior. It was
initially known as R-gone because when the gas was admitted into the
region of an electric arc it eliminated the resistance (R) of the arc
and shorted out the machine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Hum - that sounds - the R-gone... like an urban legend to me.

I would not think two Sir's to think or say that myself.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

"Polymer Man" wrote: (clip) You could call it tungsten inert gas welding,
or "TIG" for short.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you can assume that if that would work, they would already be doing
it. ;-)

This will never work. If tungsten carries enough current to glow
then it must be in a vacuum. You know that if you break a lightbulb
the tungsten filament instantly blows out, right?

Secondly, argon got its name from its electrical behavior. It was
initially known as R-gone because when the gas was admitted into the
region of an electric arc it eliminated the resistance (R) of the arc
and shorted out the machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Tue, 23 May 2006 22:20:45 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Hum - that sounds - the R-gone... like an urban legend to me.

Ya think?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Mohar

On Sun, 21 May 2006 14:19:44 -0700, "Bob May" wrote:

If you call welding aluminum difficult, wait until you try some difficult
metal to weld! Aluminum is easy and takes a nice weld very easily.

Can I see the pictures of those welded Coke cans again?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca