Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default General questions about aluminium

On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:02:26 GMT, lid (brandon26)
wrote:

Hi.
I have to investigate how to weld (or join using other methods)
aluminium tubes together. I know that this is very difficult because
of the melting point of the material, but it is possible and has been
done before.
Can anyone provide further information on how to weld aluminium tubes
together or provide the address of a website for reference?
Thanks

==================
Why do these have to be welded? What is the material and size of
the tubes? What is the end use/ environment? Two alternatives
are mechanical crimping and adhesive bonding. Both techniques
are use in air craft construction, even for structural members.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.