Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default General questions about aluminium

Hum - that sounds - the R-gone... like an urban legend to me.

I would not think two Sir's to think or say that myself.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member
http://lufkinced.com/

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:11:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Polymer Man" wrote: (clip) You could call it tungsten inert gas welding,
or "TIG" for short.....
I think you can assume that if that would work, they would already be doing
it. ;-)

This will never work. If tungsten carries enough current to glow
then it must be in a vacuum. You know that if you break a lightbulb
the tungsten filament instantly blows out, right?

Secondly, argon got its name from its electrical behavior. It was
initially known as R-gone because when the gas was admitted into the
region of an electric arc it eliminated the resistance (R) of the arc
and shorted out the machine.