Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default General questions about aluminium

On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:02:26 GMT, lid (brandon26) wrote:

Hi.
I have to investigate how to weld (or join using other methods)
aluminium tubes together. I know that this is very difficult because
of the melting point of the material, but it is possible and has been
done before.
Can anyone provide further information on how to weld aluminium tubes
together or provide the address of a website for reference?
Thanks

Two more thoughts:

1. Ernie mentioned types of tungstens. That can make a big
difference. I noted a marked difference between plain tungsten and
zirconiated tungsten when AC welding aluminum -- the Zr is much
better.

2. If you are new to TIG and if you are maintaining as short an arc
as you should be, then you are almost certainly dunking the electrode
now and then. When (not if) you dunk the electrode you must stop ,
grind or break off the contaminated part, and regrind. With
zirconiated tungstens I just grind a sharp point; it forms a little
ball almost immediately that is suitable for the current being used
and then holds that shape for quite a while if I don't increase the
current too much. I might run it on a piece of scrap for a couple
of seconds to form the little ball before starting on the aluminum
workpiece.