Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Metal Man

Default Craftsman 6 Inch Lathe: Need Advice

I am rebuilding and tweaking a guy's old Craftsman metal lathe. I have a
machinist's background but I'm not familiar with this little lathe.
-
Model Number is 101.21200
Serial Number is 001773
-
Name tag states Sears Roebuck USA and Simpsons-Sears Limited-Canada
-
Swing is 6 inches. Bed is 18" center to center approxamately. 3 jaw and
4 jaw chucks are both 4 inches in diameter. Leadscrew is 1/2" diameter x
16 pitch . Leadscrew gear is 64 tooth; stud gear is 48. I have a set of
9 other gears, but no thread gear chart so I guess I'll be figuring this
out long-hand. * Largest gear in set is marked: M6-101-56 ; 56 being
the tooth count. No quick change threading gear box like a South Bend
10K. Lantern post will take 3/8" wide shank tool holders. * Of course
no operators' manual!
-
Anybody know where I could obtain a threading / feed gear chart?
Operators manual would be nice, too!
-
There is a big gear by itself in back of the spindle, within the
gearbox. This gear can be moved in and out on an indent lever also
behind the spindle, moving it fore or aft. Is this to be used as a back
gear arrangement to allow low gears? When I engage it, it effectively
locks the spindle, but I can't figure out how to get the spindle to spin
free. A South Bend lathe has a pin to pull back to freeup the back
gears. What am I missing here? Or does this gear have another function?
-
I found a couple other Yahoo! groups specific to Craftsman / Atlas.
Anybody know of other sources for info?
-
(Yeah, I'm using WebTV to access USENET. I have had this browser for 6
years. I have a Dell PC with Windows XP, but I prefer doing Usenet this
way.)
-
Thanks in advance for any help.
-
Take care,
-+-
Kurt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Metal Man wrote:

[...]

A huge amount of info can be obtained through the yahoo Atlas/Craftsman
lathe group he

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Metal Man wrote:
[...]

I second Jeff's recommendation on the Atlas/Craftsman group. There is
also a group just for the 618 lathes.

Manuals and parts are available from Clausing.

When you engage the back gear, you have to disconnect the cone pulley
from the bull gear. The bull gear is the large gear on the spindle.
There is a pin going through it, from the right, into the pulley. The
pin has a large head on it - lever it out with a screwdriver or
something similar. The pin is locked by a ball and spring, held in by
a setscrew from the rim of the bull gear. If the pin is locked, you
may have to back off on the setscrew.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruno

In addition to the Yahoo Atlas_Craftsman group, join the Atlas618Lathe
group. You'll get a lot of information there.

-Bruno

(Metal Man) wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:53:08 -0400, (Metal Man)
wrote:

[...]

I have the original manual that has the speed chart. Send me an email
address with your request(s).

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Andy Asberry :
wrote:

[...]

I *think* that is the Craftsman version of the 6" Atlas.

Anybody know where I could obtain a threading / feed gear chart?

If it is anything like mine, you will find a threading chart
riveted to the inside of the gear cover. That way, you will be sure
that it is the right one for the machine.

Operators manual would be nice, too!

Try contacting the Clausing Service Center:

1 (574) 533-0371

and have the serial number and model number available, and you will be
able to buy a manual for the lathe (a photocopy of their collection of
manuals, tailored to your serial number). They might even be able to
tell you when it was made. The could with my Clausing 5418, which was
made in 1957.

There is a big gear by itself in back of the spindle, within the
gearbox. This gear can be moved in and out on an indent lever also
behind the spindle, moving it fore or aft. Is this to be used as a back
gear arrangement to allow low gears? When I engage it, it effectively
locks the spindle, but I can't figure out how to get the spindle to spin
free. A South Bend lathe has a pin to pull back to freeup the back
gears. What am I missing here? Or does this gear have another function?

Nope -- it is the back gear. The bull gear should have a pin
coupling it to the cone pulley. You may have to rotate the spindle as
much as half a turn to bring the head of the coupling pin into reach.
Once you pull that, you can operate the back gear lever to engage that
and have nice slow speeds with lots of torque -- at least lots for a
machine of this size. :-)

[ ... ]

I have the original manual that has the speed chart. Send me an email
address with your request(s).

That will help him -- but as I said -- I *think* that the
threading chart is inside the gear cover. Mine is, at least.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Metal Man

Default Craftsman 6 Inch Lathe: Need Advice Thanks guys

Hi,
-
-
See the file titled: Mk.2Manual.pdf
-
-
Craftsman Mk.2 Lathe, Model Number 101.21200 (circa 1973)
====================
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page6.html
-
-
SEARS: input Model Number 10121200 (no decimal point)
====================
http://www3.sears.com/
-
Use the parts list here with the assembly drawings above to the
Mk.2Manual.pdf file.
-
-
An Operators Manual with parts list and drawings is available from
Sears. I just ordered a copy for about $22 including UPS s&h. (Yeah, a
little expensive---it's a hobby thing!)
-
I will do some test runs with the gear setups to see if the manual is
correct as to the gearing.
-
Nope, no riveted gear chart.
-
-
John Martin & Don N
=====================
Your description I think applies to the older Atlas and Craftsman
lathes, similar to the South Bend 10K lathe (pre-1973 Atlas) where the
pulleys are internal in the middle of the headstock, accessable by a
liftup, hinged cover .
-
-
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page5.html
-
Also another link of stuff I found:
===========================
Machining and Metalworking at Home
-
-
http://my.tbaytel.net/jstudio/
-
(I hope my WebTV doesn't corrupt this note to you guys as I borrowed it
off one of my Yahoo! Groups. Worse comes to worst I'll post an url back
instead.)
-
Andy:
======
Thanks for the offer, I still may contact you if things go south.
-
Don:
=====
Thanks for the Clausing info. I will probably contact them, too.
-
Thank you to all that replied,
-
-+-
Kurt
===================

-
Craftsman 6 Inch Lathe: Need Advice
**-
Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Sat, May 13, 2006, 7:53pm From:
(Metal*Man)
-
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Nope, no riveted gear chart.

Mine doesn't have one either. I think I'll have to score a cover off
ebay, then re-sell the cover after removing the chart.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MMcCawley

Can someone please post a direct link to the Mk2 .PDF Manual here? I
was unable to access it from the link provided above.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

I'm pretty sure it's on the Atlas 618 Yahoo group files section.
I'd check but I've divorced myself from that bunch.
- -
Rex B

MMcCawley wrote:
Can someone please post a direct link to the Mk2 .PDF Manual here? I
was unable to access it from the link provided above.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Metal Man

Default Craftsman 6 Inch Lathe: Need Advice Hi_to_MMcCawley

Hi,
-
I don't do Usenet with my PC. Also haven't tried this link with my PC.
I do know if you want access to the .pdf link,
-
You will find the link in the FILES section.
-
The Group owner is a little slow, give it a day or two for him to
respond. In the input box tell him what model # of machine you have.
-
A Google search might provide a cache save for you to retrieve---haven't
tried it.
-
I don't know, does my WebTV browser have advantages over a PC? Hard to
believe. I only use my PC of stuff I can't access using my LBB (little
black box). I get no crap using this thing.
-
Take care now,
-
-+-
Kurt

-

Craftsman 6 Inch Lathe: Need Advice ‹Thanks guys›

Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Wed, May 17, 2006, 8:24am (EDT-3)
From: (MMcCawley)