Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Metal Man

Default Craftsman 6 Inch Lathe: Need Advice

I am rebuilding and tweaking a guy's old Craftsman metal lathe. I have a
machinist's background but I'm not familiar with this little lathe.
-
Model Number is 101.21200
Serial Number is 001773
-
Name tag states Sears Roebuck USA and Simpsons-Sears Limited-Canada
-
Swing is 6 inches. Bed is 18" center to center approxamately. 3 jaw and
4 jaw chucks are both 4 inches in diameter. Leadscrew is 1/2" diameter x
16 pitch . Leadscrew gear is 64 tooth; stud gear is 48. I have a set of
9 other gears, but no thread gear chart so I guess I'll be figuring this
out long-hand. * Largest gear in set is marked: M6-101-56 ; 56 being
the tooth count. No quick change threading gear box like a South Bend
10K. Lantern post will take 3/8" wide shank tool holders. * Of course
no operators' manual!
-
Anybody know where I could obtain a threading / feed gear chart?
Operators manual would be nice, too!
-
There is a big gear by itself in back of the spindle, within the
gearbox. This gear can be moved in and out on an indent lever also
behind the spindle, moving it fore or aft. Is this to be used as a back
gear arrangement to allow low gears? When I engage it, it effectively
locks the spindle, but I can't figure out how to get the spindle to spin
free. A South Bend lathe has a pin to pull back to freeup the back
gears. What am I missing here? Or does this gear have another function?
-
I found a couple other Yahoo! groups specific to Craftsman / Atlas.
Anybody know of other sources for info?
-
(Yeah, I'm using WebTV to access USENET. I have had this browser for 6
years. I have a Dell PC with Windows XP, but I prefer doing Usenet this
way.)
-
Thanks in advance for any help.
-