Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Workbench photos

I had a free moment to break out the camera today. Here is a photo of
the workbench mentioned in preivous posts. This was the first additon
to my shop so I am very proud.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305601.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305602.jpg

Thanks

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
brownnsharp

One thing I noticed that I commend you for. You were smart enough to
mount the vice so that the fixed jaw hung off the edge of the bench.
You would be surprised at the number of people who screw that up!!

brownnsharp

wrote:
I had a free moment to break out the camera today. Here is a photo of
the workbench mentioned in preivous posts. This was the first additon
to my shop so I am very proud.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305601.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305602.jpg

Thanks

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Jason,

Very nice, and as others have already said, very neat shop.

A little hint though, that you put some sort of a "drip-tray" under
the oil-can collection. With any change in either temperature or
barometric pressure, these tend to "dribble-a-drop-a-week", which will
get EVERYWHERE if you aren't careful. I tried cookie sheets for this,
but now at the DOLLAR Store I buy a sort of a plastic basket affair,
sort of like a tool-box carry-all, and I store the oilers in these,
with the spouts "in", and just lift the whole thing from the storage
place to the oil required site. Easily holds about 8 of the size you
use. Works good. A dab or ring-line of colour helps identify what
kind of oil is in each too, because the labels get icky eventually,
and are hard to wipe.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 11 May 2006 17:51:39 -0700, wrote:

I had a free moment to break out the camera today. Here is a photo of
the workbench mentioned in preivous posts. This was the first additon
to my shop so I am very proud.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305601.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305602.jpg

Thanks

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy

Nice work on the bench.
I hate to hijack your thread, but I notice that you work with sewing
machines. Do you have any suggestions for a canvas working want-to-be
such as myself? I would like to stitch boat covers/dodgers/duffel bags
out of Sunbrella canvas. From what I have read, I am looking for a
straight stitch machine with a walking foot. I would like to pick up a
used machine somewhere, but don't know what to look for (or look out
for) There is also new Sailrite machines as well as new import
machines on ebay.

any advice or recommended sites would be very much appretiated.
thanks and have a nice day.
Andy
Lynn, MA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

"brownnsharp" wrote in message
oups.com...
| One thing I noticed that I commend you for. You were smart enough to
| mount the vice so that the fixed jaw hung off the edge of the bench.
| You would be surprised at the number of people who screw that up!!
|
| brownnsharp

After I read your post, I went and looked at my vise. It's mounted right,
but I did it about 10-15 years ago and I can't remember exactly why it's
mounted where it is, but I must have known something. OTOH, when the handle
hangs straight down it blocks opening the drawer mounted underneath the vise
which is another thing that many of us fail to recognize. A simple 3/4"
plywood spacer under the vise would have saved me much hassle.

Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 12 May 2006 06:18:30 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "andy"
quickly quoth:

Nice work on the bench.
I hate to hijack your thread, but I notice that you work with sewing
machines. Do you have any suggestions for a canvas working want-to-be
such as myself? I would like to stitch boat covers/dodgers/duffel bags
out of Sunbrella canvas. From what I have read, I am looking for a
straight stitch machine with a walking foot. I would like to pick up a
used machine somewhere, but don't know what to look for (or look out
for) There is also new Sailrite machines as well as new import
machines on ebay.

any advice or recommended sites would be very much appretiated.
thanks and have a nice day.

Andy, I make my own line of stitched products and have a Consew 210, a
straight stitch, non-WF (walking-foot) machine. If I were to do it
again, I'd have spent the extra money for a WF. My $295 machine (I got
it used) does everything I need it to, though, and that includes
concurrently stitching through four layers of binding (double rolled
edges), two layers of urethane-backed 600 denier nylon sheeting, and a
thickness of closed-cell foam.

DO get a WF machine. They grab the material tighter, save effort, and
don't waste materials, paying for themselves in the first year, I'm
sure.

I looked at the Sailrites with a keen eye but didn't want to drop the
change to buy one. The local guy set up my machine for me for 1/3 the
price of a Sailrite and it does the job. If I were doing this for a
living, I'd still probably have bought the used machine and moved up
to new once the income afforded it, keeping the old machine as a known
usable backup. The portability of the Sailrites can be good, too, but
my used machine came with the large, heavy bench.

If you do buy used, from a local repairman, you'll have the service
included, another good thing.

G'luck!

----
A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I had a free moment to break out the camera today. Here is a photo of
the workbench mentioned in preivous posts. This was the first additon
to my shop so I am very proud.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305601.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305602.jpg

Where did you find your bench top? I have not had lucking finding
something that nice, and I need to setup a top for the small lathe I'm
putting back together

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I had a free moment to break out the camera today. Here is a photo of
the workbench mentioned in preivous posts. This was the first additon
to my shop so I am very proud.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305601.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...6/PB305602.jpg

Where did you find your bench top? I have not had lucking finding
something that nice, and I need to setup a top for the small lathe I'm
putting back together

Grainger and probably McMaster-Carr or others sell butcher block tops for
work benches, though you'll have to be willing to accept the standard size
(sizes?) that they sell. A while back I had a local hardwood supplier make
up a custom bench top and shelf out of maple for a table frame made of
Unistrut. The top was 48x24 and the shelf a little smaller. Together they
ran around $300.

A picture of it is he

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/2...Rack+Tools.JPG

though it only shows a portion of the table and shelf. It would have been
at least a little cheaper to cut up a couple of standard butcher block tops.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andy,

I would agree with the walking foot recommendation. When you have
several plies of this material you need the advantages of the walking
foot. If budget does not permit, at least get what is called a needle
feed machine. This machine has a needle that not only moves up and
down, but will advance from front to back when it is in the cloth. This
way all plies move together.

in Taxssachusetts there are several sewing companies that have gone out
of business or have switched to all imported product because of the
cost to manufacture. If you need a reference on where to purchase the
machines drop me a letter. email me at staff at drapes dot com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Marc,

I priced out a lot of different companies, and a local source might be
the best. Big Box stores were horrible. I ended up going with McMaster
item number 4882T23. It came from a cutting board factory (
www.johnboos.com/ ) that I am sure just uses their end cuts, however
the wood has been heat treated and kiln dried. I have two of these
benches. One at home in a humid environment ( about 10 miles from the
ocean ) and one in a hot dry environment. They have not cracked or
split in over a year.

Regards,

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just saw that in the last year the cutting board factory mentioned
above offers work bench tops as well. Prices seem extremley high
considereing the Mcmaster price for the same thing.

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:07:26 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Bowling alley lanes are *the* ticket. If you hear of one being demo'd
nearby, drop what yer doin' and go get as much as you can. About 220
lbs for a 10' long piece. I paid $50 per 10 lineal feet for mine.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy

Thanks for the reply. I do not plan on "quitting the day job" for
canvas work. I am a DIY type with a weakness for tools. I have a boat
which needs some side curtains and I figured "how hard can it be?"
(bold and foolish I know) I picked up a piece of Sunbrella on ebay, and
a White sewing machine at a yardsale for $10. It looked old and
robust, . I had a fun afternoon cleaning it up and oiling it, but I
cannot make it sew to save my life. I tried to get some advice from
the local sewing place but they were no help. The place actually
reminded me of Home Depot.

I was thinking that if I could pick up a used heavy duty machine with a
walking foot, I would be in better shape. (here again boldly assuming
that with a fancy machine I will be able to sew) my hometown used to
be big into shoe making, but all the small shops seemed to have
disappeared. I suppose if I find a local place to sell an industrial
machine, I can also get some advice. Do you think a budget of $250 is
going to get me anywhere?

Thanks for your insight,
Andy Hall
Lynn, MA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

The easy way is to use two two by fours (:-) in the jaws that hold the front up
and away when tight in the jaws. Some like it flush (more support on the back)
but some like more space - so use a spacer board.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Norm Dresner wrote:
"brownnsharp" wrote in message
oups.com...
| One thing I noticed that I commend you for. You were smart enough to
| mount the vice so that the fixed jaw hung off the edge of the bench.
| You would be surprised at the number of people who screw that up!!
|
| brownnsharp

After I read your post, I went and looked at my vise. It's mounted right,
but I did it about 10-15 years ago and I can't remember exactly why it's
mounted where it is, but I must have known something. OTOH, when the handle
hangs straight down it blocks opening the drawer mounted underneath the vise
which is another thing that many of us fail to recognize. A simple 3/4"
plywood spacer under the vise would have saved me much hassle.

Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:07:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Mike Henry" quickly quoth:

wrote in message
Where did you find your bench top? I have not had lucking finding
something that nice, and I need to setup a top for the small lathe I'm
putting back together

Grainger and probably McMaster-Carr or others sell butcher block tops for
work benches, though you'll have to be willing to accept the standard size
(sizes?) that they sell. A while back I had a local hardwood supplier make
up a custom bench top and shelf out of maple for a table frame made of
Unistrut. The top was 48x24 and the shelf a little smaller. Together they
ran around $300.

You can also find these at www.leevalley.com and www.grizzly.com ,
boys & girls.

---
"Money can't buy you happiness...but it does bring you a more pleasant
form of misery." -- Spike Milligan
---
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) Laptop Privacy/Glare Guards