Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy

Default Workbench photos

Thanks for the reply. I do not plan on "quitting the day job" for
canvas work. I am a DIY type with a weakness for tools. I have a boat
which needs some side curtains and I figured "how hard can it be?"
(bold and foolish I know) I picked up a piece of Sunbrella on ebay, and
a White sewing machine at a yardsale for $10. It looked old and
robust, . I had a fun afternoon cleaning it up and oiling it, but I
cannot make it sew to save my life. I tried to get some advice from
the local sewing place but they were no help. The place actually
reminded me of Home Depot.

I was thinking that if I could pick up a used heavy duty machine with a
walking foot, I would be in better shape. (here again boldly assuming
that with a fancy machine I will be able to sew) my hometown used to
be big into shoe making, but all the small shops seemed to have
disappeared. I suppose if I find a local place to sell an industrial
machine, I can also get some advice. Do you think a budget of $250 is
going to get me anywhere?

Thanks for your insight,
Andy Hall
Lynn, MA