Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN

Default How much vibration do you need for a vibratory cleaner.

Hi

Got myself the vibrating motor from a small Clairol Foot Spa bath.
Its pretty small with offset weight on each side of the armiture - fits
in ones hand.

I want to make a vibratory cleaner from it using plastic bowls - what
size would be suitable for this ? I.E. Does the vibration have to be
hand numbing to be effective ????

Does the motor hace to be aligned vertically or horizontally - I.E.
must the vibration be up and down or sideways with respect to the bowl
?

thanks
Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

The more vibration stroke the more cutting action you get. A big
industrial unit might hold 500 gallons, move 1/2". Takes a LOT of hp,
makes a LOT of noise. Yours sounds like it might handle a 2 to 4 quart
bowl with a gentle action. The amount of cutting action is extremely
dependent on the type of media you use. Sawdust will just polish, big
ceramic chips will knock edges off in a hurry.

TMN wrote:

Hi

Got myself the vibrating motor from a small Clairol Foot Spa bath.
Its pretty small with offset weight on each side of the armiture - fits
in ones hand.

I want to make a vibratory cleaner from it using plastic bowls - what
size would be suitable for this ? I.E. Does the vibration have to be
hand numbing to be effective ????

Does the motor hace to be aligned vertically or horizontally - I.E.
must the vibration be up and down or sideways with respect to the bowl
?

thanks
Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

I've seen three styles.
One uses a rectangular lined steel tub, w/ a motor/shaft in the horizontal,
beneath the long axis of the tub, w/ said eccentric wt. Loaded, the tub,
already heavy (about 24x12x18) can weigh quite a bit. It is epoxy-lined,
and has to be re-lined every few years, not a cheap thing.
The vibration *is* pretty hand numbing--and goddamm *loud*, jack. Burntid
out 1/3 hp motors, had to go to decent 1/2 hp.
I think vibratory tumblers are indeed rated in decibels.

The other I've seen is round (kinda like a portable cement mixer, straight
up). HF has a small one for $60, can sposedly handle 4-5" objects.

Altho I think you could make a half-assed tumbler pretty easy, a *good* one
is going to be quite a project.

Media is its own art. Shells from nuts, corn husks, BB's, all kinds of
stone/plastic media, you name it, some of it not cheap..... Start eating
walnuts.

The third type is your rotary tumbler.
Mebbe the best thing is to find a throwed-out dryer/front loading washer!
Line the tub w/ some sheet metal. Good idea, folks?

Don't know how the vibratory compare w/ the rotary. I know all shops I've
seen use the vibratory (I've seen them bigger than a big jacuzzi), and
jewelry people use the little rotaries.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"TMN" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Got myself the vibrating motor from a small Clairol Foot Spa bath.
Its pretty small with offset weight on each side of the armiture - fits
in ones hand.

I want to make a vibratory cleaner from it using plastic bowls - what
size would be suitable for this ? I.E. Does the vibration have to be
hand numbing to be effective ????

Does the motor hace to be aligned vertically or horizontally - I.E.
must the vibration be up and down or sideways with respect to the bowl
?

thanks
Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN

Hi

should have pointed out that I want to make a model engineering size
one not an industrial
one - but hey it must work good !!!

I used to reload ammo and I used rice (uncooked) as a cheap media.

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 3 May 2006 12:10:40 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

One uses a rectangular lined steel tub, w/ a motor/shaft in the horizontal,
beneath the long axis of the tub, w/ said eccentric wt. Loaded, the tub,
already heavy (about 24x12x18) can weigh quite a bit. It is epoxy-lined,
and has to be re-lined every few years, not a cheap thing.

Rino Lining or similar truck bed spray ons work very well for
this..and most places will spray this for you for very little money.
Last one I took in was $20 and a laugh from the sprayer. He did it in
about 2 minutes.

Gunner, who has one for sale. About 20 gallon size

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Excellent suggestion. I think the epoxy whatsit my buddy got was in the
hundreds--got him good, eh? goodgawd...
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:

One uses a rectangular lined steel tub, w/ a motor/shaft in the
horizontal,
beneath the long axis of the tub, w/ said eccentric wt. Loaded, the tub,
already heavy (about 24x12x18) can weigh quite a bit. It is epoxy-lined,
and has to be re-lined every few years, not a cheap thing.

Rino Lining or similar truck bed spray ons work very well for
this..and most places will spray this for you for very little money.
Last one I took in was $20 and a laugh from the sprayer. He did it in
about 2 minutes.

Gunner, who has one for sale. About 20 gallon size

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Then the HF ditty might be perfect for you. Check it out.

Rice!! Great!!! And, you could rinse it off afterwards, and still eat it!
Or use brown rice til the husk comes off, and then eat it.

Actually, rice might be a *perfect* media for some softer material.

My buddy, who used to do knitting parts (cams, rollers, all kinds of stuff),
would tumble stuff for goddamm *days*, and, 20 years later, the parts look
like polished stainless or chrome. Incredible finishes.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"TMN" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

should have pointed out that I want to make a model engineering size
one not an industrial
one - but hey it must work good !!!

I used to reload ammo and I used rice (uncooked) as a cheap media.

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

TMN wrote:
Hi

Got myself the vibrating motor from a small Clairol Foot Spa bath.
Its pretty small with offset weight on each side of the armiture - fits
in ones hand.

I want to make a vibratory cleaner from it using plastic bowls - what
size would be suitable for this ? I.E. Does the vibration have to be
hand numbing to be effective ????

Unless your motor has some special advantage, e.g., convenient mounting,
variable speed, etc, the fact that has the eccentrics is nothing
special. They're just a couple of weights that can be readily made.
You're better off finding an appropriate motor (horsepower, speed,
mount) and just adding an eccentric.

The vibration is commonly 1200-1800 Hz, although Eastwood uses 3000.
The displacement is small (mm's). Near the resonant frequency it can go
wild. Even a small displacement is hand numbing.

Does the motor hace to be aligned vertically or horizontally - I.E.
must the vibration be up and down or sideways with respect to the bowl
?

For a bowl, the shaft would be vertical. A trough shaped vibrator uses
a horizontal shaft.

For the vibe. polisher I made see:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/vibepolisher.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Need some cheap polishing media for your vibe tumbler?

Go to your local pet store and get a bag of crushed walnut shells (used
to line bird cages), about $3. Squirt in some liquid metal polish (
it may clump at first, but will soak in). Don't add water. Set it &
forget it. Check every 30 minutes.

If you need to debur edges you'll need something more aggrerssive like
ceramic media with water.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

If you don't have much of this to do, just set up a plastic jar or capped
PVC pipe to tumble on your lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

for what it's worth, I made a small vibratory cleaner for cleaning up
jewelry after soldering it together - I used a simple "buzz" type
vibrator that had been bolted to a bed and attached an (empty) can of
baking soda to it - filled the can with walnut shells and rouge and it
works great (remember to put the top on the can)

bill n

On 3 May 2006 06:25:26 -0700, "TMN" wrote:

Hi

Got myself the vibrating motor from a small Clairol Foot Spa bath.
Its pretty small with offset weight on each side of the armiture - fits
in ones hand.

I want to make a vibratory cleaner from it using plastic bowls - what
size would be suitable for this ? I.E. Does the vibration have to be
hand numbing to be effective ????

Does the motor hace to be aligned vertically or horizontally - I.E.
must the vibration be up and down or sideways with respect to the bowl
?

thanks
Tim

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Bosch Colt PR20 Router vibration eganders Woodworking 4 December 18th 05 03:24 PM
Pool Cleaner Reviews Zac Roberts Home Repair 1 December 6th 05 04:03 PM
Best granite countertop cleaner / polish ? Steve Henderson Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 03:48 PM
Pool cleaner floating Mike Home Repair 2 May 5th 04 02:44 PM
Kenmore (Sears) Water Softener Cleaner -- How often? L. Dwynn Lafleur Home Repair 4 January 25th 04 07:28 AM