Steve Henderson

Default Best granite countertop cleaner / polish ?

We are owners of a new granite countertop. It's dark green (Verte
peacock), and we really like it. I'd like to know your suggestions of a
good cleaner that brings the shine back without a greasy/smeary look to
it. I've tried both the cleaner and polish in spray cans at Home Depot
branded "Rock Doctor". The polish just smears around, and under the
"under counter" lights and the cans I have in the ceiling, it looks like
when you try to clean your windows in the sun with 409. like you're
pushing wax around that won't quite come off. the "rock doctor" cleaner
is better, but still not great. I've tried Windex, and that, too,
smears. lighter fluid even smears a little, and I'm sure it would strip
out the sealer that's on the granite.

So, what have you folks with dark granite found to be the best?
Actually, the best I've found so far is the Bruce Floor "no wax" cleaner
that we got for our new 3/4 inch wood floor, also in the kitchen. Of
course, again, I have no idea if it's stipping the granite sealer off at
the same time. It DOES say it's not to be used with "waxed" finishes
(referring to floors, obviously).
-- Steve Henderson
m Ransley

Maybe the new sealer is reacting with your cleaner. Actualy I have dark
granite and tried to stain it and cant as your green may not stain.
Anything Ive used to clean it works. Sealers take time to cure.

Dee

Steve Henderson wrote in
:

[...]

I find that getting the granite squeaky clean allows the polished finish to
shine. I get good results by using a spray bottle filled with a 50:50 mix
of water and common rubbing alcohol. My granite is a fairly dark Dakota
Mahogany.

Dee

Steve Henderson wrote:
[...]

My wife has, in her kitchen, polished "granite" which is mostly black
and gray. It's not actually granite; but larvikite, though everybody
calls it granite.

We normally just wipe it with a rag when we're done cooking.
If there's something that needs to be sterilized, we spray with a 50%
bleach solution, then wipe it off.
If we want to put a great shine on it, we clean it with dish soap &
water, then wipe that off, then spray 50% vinegar solution and wipe
that off until dry. Spotless shine.

Obviously, you would NEVER want to let the bleach and the vinegar to
mix!