Dee

Default Best granite countertop cleaner / polish ?

Steve Henderson wrote in
:

We are owners of a new granite countertop. It's dark green (Verte
peacock), and we really like it. I'd like to know your suggestions of a
good cleaner that brings the shine back without a greasy/smeary look to
it. I've tried both the cleaner and polish in spray cans at Home Depot
branded "Rock Doctor". The polish just smears around, and under the
"under counter" lights and the cans I have in the ceiling, it looks like
when you try to clean your windows in the sun with 409. like you're
pushing wax around that won't quite come off. the "rock doctor" cleaner
is better, but still not great. I've tried Windex, and that, too,
smears. lighter fluid even smears a little, and I'm sure it would strip
out the sealer that's on the granite.

So, what have you folks with dark granite found to be the best?
Actually, the best I've found so far is the Bruce Floor "no wax" cleaner
that we got for our new 3/4 inch wood floor, also in the kitchen. Of
course, again, I have no idea if it's stipping the granite sealer off at
the same time. It DOES say it's not to be used with "waxed" finishes
(referring to floors, obviously).
-- Steve Henderson

I find that getting the granite squeaky clean allows the polished finish to
shine. I get good results by using a spray bottle filled with a 50:50 mix
of water and common rubbing alcohol. My granite is a fairly dark Dakota
Mahogany.

Dee