Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Default Bosch Colt PR20 Router vibration

I have a Bosch Colt PR20 palm rounter. I got one when the first one
hit the stores because I really liked the design. Still do. However,
I find that there is more vibration than I would like to see in a
router of this quality level. I mentioned this in a review of it
several months ago. It has much more vibration than my DeWalt trim
router, or for that matter, any of my routers. Maybe it is normal, but
I have not been able to compare it to other Colts to see if mine is an
exception or typical. The reason I am bringing it up here is that I
put a little LED light that Dremel is selling on it and the vibration
tends to make the light wink or flash (I assume due to the battery
contacts being vibrated).

Has anyone got experience with comparing the colt vibration with other
trim routers and can tell me their impressions?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeffrey Johnson

In article .com,
"eganders" wrote:

I have a Bosch Colt PR20 palm rounter. I got one when the first one
hit the stores because I really liked the design. Still do. However,
I find that there is more vibration than I would like to see in a
router of this quality level. I mentioned this in a review of it
several months ago. It has much more vibration than my DeWalt trim
router, or for that matter, any of my routers. Maybe it is normal, but
I have not been able to compare it to other Colts to see if mine is an
exception or typical. The reason I am bringing it up here is that I
put a little LED light that Dremel is selling on it and the vibration
tends to make the light wink or flash (I assume due to the battery
contacts being vibrated).

Has anyone got experience with comparing the colt vibration with other
trim routers and can tell me their impressions?

Wow, that sounds like you've got a bad one. Bad bearing?

My PR20 is really smooth, at all speeds. I thought my 1608 trim router
was decently smooth, but the PR20 is much better. The "whooshing" (fan
or bearing noise?) on the fixed speed 1608 has been so loud from day one
that it's painful- not so on the PR20. (My 1608 has a nasty habit of
gradually spitting out bit shafts, too.)

The only quibble I have with the PR20 is that the height adjustment
thread is on the inside of the base shroud, and so gets sawdust thrown
into it. But Santa brought one of the MicroFence "Portable Three Axis
Mill" bases for it (review coming up), and I don't think it will be
going back to the standard base much except for close quarters work :-)

--
Jeffrey Johnson
jajohns_300(at)charter(dot)net
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Bosch Colt PR20 palm rounter. I got one when the first one
hit the stores because I really liked the design. Still do. However,
I find that there is more vibration than I would like to see in a
router of this quality level. I mentioned this in a review of it
several months ago. It has much more vibration than my DeWalt trim
router, or for that matter, any of my routers. Maybe it is normal, but
I have not been able to compare it to other Colts to see if mine is an
exception or typical. The reason I am bringing it up here is that I
put a little LED light that Dremel is selling on it and the vibration
tends to make the light wink or flash (I assume due to the battery
contacts being vibrated).

Something to check in case you have not. Does it vibrate with no bit?

Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Yes. I would say the vibration creates a tingling feeling in my hand.
I guess I need to see another one to see if mine is abnormal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes. I would say the vibration creates a tingling feeling in my hand.
I guess I need to see another one to see if mine is abnormal.

One other thing to consider IF you have the VARIABLE SPEED unit. Perhaps
because of different harmonics at different speeds you may get less or more
vibration at different speeds. My Bosch 1617EVS and Triton VS router both
vibrate a slight bit more at some speeds that others. Because yours will
run at a much higher 35,000 rpm the chances of vibration is increased.
That said however I would do as you have indicated and double check with
another unit if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.