Mike

Default Pool cleaner floating

Just purchased a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra with the Vac Plate.

Installed everything and it worked great for about 30 minutes, and then the
cleaner started to float off the bottom of the pool. It seems small bubbles
were forming on the hose and cleaner unit. Shaking the bubbles loose sank
the cleaner back to the botton, and it continued roaming around for another
30 minites or so.

The manual states that this can be caused by stressing the suction side so
that air might be entering. A quick look into the trap lid at the pump
confirmed this. In addition, whenever I would shut off the pump motor, I
noticed a drop of water coming from a pipe joint about six inches from the
suction side of the pump (also, air bubbles were coming out of one of the
pool water jets).

So I fixed the leak, and now the cleaner stays at the bottom and is working
great.

My question is:

How would a suction side air leak near the pump cause air bubbles to form at
the cleaner and hose?

Thanks for the physics lesson,

Mike

SQLit

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

This gets pretty complicated.
First you need to get rid of the leak near the pump. That will only make
things worse in the long run. You can TRY letting it dry/drain and then
using pvc glue on the outside of the threads. The right way is to take it
all apart and put Teflon tape and or plumbers caulk on the threads then
tightening. I use both. If this is not a threaded joint then you need to
replace the offending parts and get a seal.

As for the vac plate I never got mine to work. I tried more water so it was
under water more, I ended up fighting the thing until I decided to
replaster. I punched a hole in the side of the pool about a foot down from
the deck installed a mixing valve in the returns and wow what a difference.
Check the side of the cleaner there is a screw that chooses programs, try
the other program.
Last resort call a pro.

Mike

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advise, however:
Did you read the part of my post that said I fixed the leak?
Did you read the part of my post that said it is now working great?
Did you read the question at the bottom of my post?

By the way, PVC cement fixed the leak.

Thanks again,

Mike