Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Re. Marking steel for dial

Couple of days ago, I hit upon a great way to whiten engraved marks in steel
dials and such. "Whiteout" correction fluid.. Daub it on with just the
tips of the bristles. Then scrape off the excess with your finger nail.
Finally clean up the surrounding area with very gentle swipes of almost dry
acetone on a rag. You want to swipe over the mark with just enough acetone
to remove the excess Whiteout; dry enough to not soak into the whitened
depression.

Special paints are made for this, but Whiteout is quick and cheap, and
fairly long lived AGAICT. On my spin indexer, I whitened critical marks
such as the ( ) pointer, and ( 0 ); and geometrically significant numbers
like 60, 90, 120, 180, 240, 270, 300.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Bob,

I've used it for that too. In fact, I buy both the "brush" stuff, and
the pen type, and the marker type. Great stuff all round. Works
great for writing on metals and dark stuff too. And CHEAP!!!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:21:32 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Couple of days ago, I hit upon a great way to whiten engraved marks in steel
dials and such. "Whiteout" correction fluid.. Daub it on with just the
tips of the bristles. Then scrape off the excess with your finger nail.
Finally clean up the surrounding area with very gentle swipes of almost dry
acetone on a rag. You want to swipe over the mark with just enough acetone
to remove the excess Whiteout; dry enough to not soak into the whitened
depression.

Special paints are made for this, but Whiteout is quick and cheap, and
fairly long lived AGAICT. On my spin indexer, I whitened critical marks
such as the ( ) pointer, and ( 0 ); and geometrically significant numbers
like 60, 90, 120, 180, 240, 270, 300.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Brian,

Did you go to N.A.M.E.S.this year? Did you help them find Mike Graham? I
remember you guys live in about the same general area.

I can't make N.A.M.E.S. this time. Blew the budget on a steamboat cruise on
the Mississippi Queen. I do get to see an interestring steam engine,
though. The Queen's Engines have a 10 foot stroke.

Bob Swinney

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Couple of days ago, I hit upon a great way to whiten engraved marks in steel
dials and such. "Whiteout" correction fluid.. Daub it on with just the
tips of the bristles. Then scrape off the excess with your finger nail.
Finally clean up the surrounding area with very gentle swipes of almost dry
acetone on a rag. You want to swipe over the mark with just enough acetone
to remove the excess Whiteout; dry enough to not soak into the whitened
depression.

Special paints are made for this, but Whiteout is quick and cheap, and
fairly long lived AGAICT. On my spin indexer, I whitened critical marks
such as the ( ) pointer, and ( 0 ); and geometrically significant numbers
like 60, 90, 120, 180, 240, 270, 300.

Bob Swinney

Whiteout works pretty good on the lettering on firearms and the front
sight too.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:35:42 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Whiteout works pretty good on the lettering on firearms and the front
sight too.

Ah, for photographing markings, in a way that doesn't permanently alter
the gun?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

Default Mike, and NAMES was Re. Marking steel for dial

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:16:35 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:17:36 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Brian,

Did you go to N.A.M.E.S.this year? Did you help them find Mike Graham? I
remember you guys live in about the same general area.

I can't make N.A.M.E.S. this time. Blew the budget on a steamboat cruise on
the Mississippi Queen. I do get to see an interestring steam engine,
though. The Queen's Engines have a 10 foot stroke.

Bob Swinney

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hey Bob,

Yes, I was there at NAMES 2006. It was only 35 minutes further drive
for me, time-wise, than the old places. I go a few days early to help
out, and this year I was "dockmaster", so too busy to see the show as
well as a visitor would, or could, or should!! My legs are bad, so
any slack moments I tend to grab a chair out on the loading dock and
wait for the next load to show up, so I truly do not get to see too
much. By the time late Saturday afternoon rolls around, I've been
there and busy working for 4 days and I'm whipped, and as most if not
all the arrivals are in, I head for home just prior to the Saturday
closing. What I did see was very good though, and well received. I
think most people liked the single large hall, rather than the double
rinks of the past two years, the lack of "overhead wires and air
lines" makes it look more professional, and the lighting is very good
too. Disappointment on the part of some exhibitors is that while
there is compressed air piped in "everywhere", there was not
electricity available free due to the "house rules" at the Seagate.
Hopefully, some sort of arrangement can be made for following years to
provide it to those who need it. I heard good comments on Ron
Ginger's seminar too, and I wish I had attended. I have no idea as to
paid attendance, nor what is "normal/usual", but it sure looked like
lots of people throughout Saturday. The Seagate Center is easy to
find and get to, and parking is readily available at reasonable rates,
and if there is rotten weather (like last year in 2005), the line
forms inside the building out of the weather!!

I have no idea how the vendors fared, but with the well spaced aisles
there was no need to "by-pass" anyone. Quite a number of new vendor
faces too, and of course lots of the regulars, but some were
conspicuous by their absence. Maybe one of each of them can jump in
here and have their say as to how they felt it went.

Hopefully you'll make it next year, April 21 & 22, 2007.

And about Mike. I noticed someone PINGing him here on RCM last week,
but I didn't get in on the hunt. I seem to recall he lived a bit
north-west of Toronto. near Bolton or Caledon, which is about 160 plus
miles from me. I figure if he wanted to chat with us, he'd be here. I
will contact someone (that's you Speff) who knows him better than I,
and at least tell him he is sorely missed by us all and that someone
is trying to contact him for specific reason.

I've seen the Delta King (or was it Queen) from the Muzipee shoreline,
but not been aboard, and not even seen the Mississippi lady you were
on except in Live Steam magazine. Sounds like a hoot! Got any pix??

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

It was a good show, and I hauled home plenty of iron (the 1/3 Galloway
kit). However, a number of vendors I usually see weren't there or I
didn't see them. I didn't see Scott Logan or the Hodgsons. Ron
Colonna had his H-D running like, well, an H-D. The scale Duesenberg
was there, a full scale steam launch, and a Model "D" JD just ticking
over.

The extra distance was a good excuse to spend the night. The Seagate
Center is much nicer than the rinks, and like Brian said, no standing
around outside.

It finally dawned on me to take lots of detail photos of the completed
Galloway hit'n miss on display, so I did that before driving home
Sunday morning.

I could post some pics if anyone's interested.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:16:35 -0400, Brian Lawson

will contact someone (that's you Speff) who knows him better than I,
and at least tell him he is sorely missed by us all and that someone
is trying to contact him for specific reason.

Hi, Brian. I haven't talked to Mike in years. AFAIK, via DOC who lives
near him, he's been doing different stuff these days (digital
photography). BTW, you're about 10,000 miles closer to where he lives
than I am at the moment. ;-) Thanks for the detailed report on NAMES &
sorry I had to miss it this time.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 25 Apr 2006 22:09:54 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:35:42 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Whiteout works pretty good on the lettering on firearms and the front
sight too.

Ah, for photographing markings, in a way that doesn't permanently alter
the gun?

Correct. Or simply for "dress up" and adding to whatever "cool factor"
it may have. Some folks use gold inlay/paint to make it a bit
dressier.

The front sight use of course is obvious.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:53:11 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

HUGE SNIP

I could post some pics if anyone's interested.

Pete Keillor

Hey Peter,

Yes, please!! Or.............. at least send them to me!

Thanks.

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:53:11 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

HUGE SNIP

I could post some pics if anyone's interested.

Pete Keillor

Hey Peter,

Yes, please!! Or.............. at least send them to me!

Thanks.

Brian Lawson

Thanx, guys for the reports on NAMES. I wonder though if the show will be
long for this world if Scott Logan doesn't go anymore. For sure, it doesn't
sound the same without Hodgson's radial on display. Pete's 1/3 Galloway just
about fills my ambition. I have a small H or M of Bob Shores but haven't
started on it yet. Maybe soon.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:43:18 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:53:11 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

HUGE SNIP

I could post some pics if anyone's interested.

Pete Keillor

Hey Peter,

Yes, please!! Or.............. at least send them to me!

Thanks.

Brian Lawson

OK, Brian, I've uploaded the photos. Look for the NAMES 2006 gallery
on http://peteiii.smugmug.com/ . If you want higher resolution of any
of them, let me know. I cut the resolution in half for faster
uploads.

If you don't mind, let me know how Smugmug works for this. I'm using
it for personal stuff and when I have loads of photos. I don't want
to swamp the dropbox.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I have done lots of color filling and finally mastered it. First, the
marking must be quite deep and without a burr.
Clean the object well by dipping in acetone or naptha. When dry apply
the laquer of choice.It can be pretty heavy.
open up an old white pages phone book
and blot the surface ink off. Just press it down, move to clean spot,
repeat until only a very thin film is left. ley dry overnight.
Take some scotch transparent tape and lift off that residue. If that
doesn't quite get it use auto wax and a soft cloth to finish it up. I
like KIT liquidwax

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Peter,

Super, and Superb. Beautiful shots!! And the resolution was perfect.
Thank You.

And I'm not sure what you might have concerns with "SmugMug" or
whatever, but it all worked just great for me at least.

That is a fine looking engine too. Good luck with it.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:53:11 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

HUGE SNIP

I could post some pics if anyone's interested.

Pete Keillor

Hey Peter,

Yes, please!! Or.............. at least send them to me!

Thanks.

Brian Lawson

OK, Brian, I've uploaded the photos. Look for the NAMES 2006 gallery
on http://peteiii.smugmug.com/ . If you want higher resolution of any
of them, let me know. I cut the resolution in half for faster
uploads.

If you don't mind, let me know how Smugmug works for this. I'm using
it for personal stuff and when I have loads of photos. I don't want
to swamp the dropbox.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:12:10 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Peter,

Super, and Superb. Beautiful shots!! And the resolution was perfect.
Thank You.

And I'm not sure what you might have concerns with "SmugMug" or
whatever, but it all worked just great for me at least.

That is a fine looking engine too. Good luck with it.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

snip

No problem, I just hadn't heard much feedback. Smugmug's good from
the input side, I just wanted an opinion from the viewer side. For
smugmug, I just do all resizing and corrections into a folder, then I
can set up a gallery and load the whole folder. It's ~$20 / yr, which
ain't bad.

Time will tell if the Expo does well in Toledo. In spite of the
absence of some well known names, I think it will. I met a couple of
folks who drove from Iowa while waiting in line. They lived 20 miles
apart and had never met. This was the first show for one of them, a
retired farmer. That seems a good omen.

Pete Keillor