John R. Carroll

Default Marking steel

"Ignoramus14408" wrote in message
I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

The local tool suppliers here in LA sell "grease pencils" in several colors
and I have used them. They are OK but to do it properly you want to paint
the AISI color code on the bar. The determining factor would be the amount
of post marking handling the material is going to see.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Gunner Asch

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 04:53:28 GMT, Ignoramus14408
wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

Its called a Paint Pen or Paint Marker.

Dychem and a host of other people make em. Check with your local
bearing supply house, as they tend to stock the 8 or 9 colors they are
available in.

http://markingpendepot.com/index.asp...TS&Category=42
http://markingpendepot.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=2

Also check ebay..but becareful..they may be dried out.

For quick and dirty.. a yellow carpenters crayon (like the kind in
tire shops) works, but wipes off easily

Paint pens/markers tend to dry out fairly quickly....least here in the
desert..so store em someplace cool and in a zip lock bag.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 04:53:28 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus14408 quickly quoth:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

Soapstone, crayons, paint pens, carbide scribes. Take yer pick.
Paint pens are probably what you describe.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln
Grant Erwin

Ignoramus14408 wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

The brand I usually buy is Markal. - GWE
SmokinJo

UniPaint PX-20
Comes in several colors - White, Yellow, Red, Blue, Green ???
Wal-Mart has something like it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ipaint+px%2D20

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Brian Lawson

wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

Hey Iggy,

Markal makes a "crayon" type marker called a Paint-Stik, for cold
marking just about anything. And while I couldn't find it in
Wholesale Tool's catalogue, I do know that there is a similar type
made that can be used either cold or HOT, as in red-hot.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:47:02 GMT, Ignoramus1729 wrote:
Thanks. Let me explain why I want to do it.

When I weld (I am learning to weld and lay a lot of weld beads), I see
very little outside of the arc area, due to darkening lens of the
helmet. Hence, my test welds that I do on plates, wander and are not
straight. So, I want to mark a line that I could follow.

Isn't that what soapstone is for?

SmokinJo

You can buy Paint markers at your local Wal-Mart.
or

Here is a link to check out, there are several colors to choose from: white,
red, blue, green & yellow ...

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ipaint+px%2D20
SmokinJo

UniPaint PX-20 (Medium Line paint pen)
Comes in several colors ( White, Yellow, Blue, Green & Red ...)
I am not sure of the Brand name, You can buy at Wal-Mart

Google search -

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ipaint+px%2D20

or

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search
RainLover

wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

I've been using a Sharpie brand pen lately... they've Always had
black, but now there is a SILVER which is perfect for steel. The only
issue with these pens is that they don't do well marking dirty or oily
steel, so it's best to clean the area before marking.

I still use the black for stainless though in order to get the high
contrast.

James, Seattle

Grant Erwin

Ignoramus1729 wrote:

Thanks. Let me explain why I want to do it.

When I weld (I am learning to weld and lay a lot of weld beads), I see
very little outside of the arc area, due to darkening lens of the
helmet. Hence, my test welds that I do on plates, wander and are not
straight. So, I want to mark a line that I could follow.

Chalk or paint will be gone from the residual heat long before you can see them.
Use soapstone, available and cheap at any welder supply or any Home Depot etc.
And try a No. 9 filter if you're having trouble seeing it. Or simply clamp a
little piece of aluminum near your weld zone, you'll probably see that OK. - GWE
Gunner Asch

wrote:

Thanks. Let me explain why I want to do it.

When I weld (I am learning to weld and lay a lot of weld beads), I see
very little outside of the arc area, due to darkening lens of the
helmet. Hence, my test welds that I do on plates, wander and are not
straight. So, I want to mark a line that I could follow.

I think that I ought to give chalk a chance...

Chalk or soapstone is what you want to use. Paint will burn away
rapidly.

Soapstone holders are cheap at most welding places, $3-5 They come in
both round and rectangular cross sections. I use both

Something that also works for layout..is silver or white colored
pencils, available from common stationarly stores etc.

I was recently given a small handful and they have turned out to be
really really handy. And they sharpen to a fine point with a regular
pencil sharpener.

Gunner

wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

Hey Iggy,

Markal makes a "crayon" type marker called a Paint-Stik, for cold
marking just about anything. And while I couldn't find it in
Wholesale Tool's catalogue, I do know that there is a similar type
made that can be used either cold or HOT, as in red-hot.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:25:33 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

Ignoramus1729 wrote:

Thanks. Let me explain why I want to do it.

When I weld (I am learning to weld and lay a lot of weld beads), I see
very little outside of the arc area, due to darkening lens of the
helmet. Hence, my test welds that I do on plates, wander and are not
straight. So, I want to mark a line that I could follow.

Chalk or paint will be gone from the residual heat long before you can see them.
Use soapstone, available and cheap at any welder supply or any Home Depot etc.

Right, I got a couple soapstone sticks for $0.10 each at the local
"rot arn" place.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln
www.diversify.com - Happy Website Development
Don Foreman

wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

For general marking, as in prices or ID e.g. junkyard, a Markall
paint ball marker. They work like ball point pens, but they contain
paint -- usually yellow or white.

For welding or cutting angle iron, etc, a soapstone marker.

For layout work as on sheetmetal or drilling (lacking DRO), spray
with layout blue (basically a fast-drying blue lacquer) and mark with
a sharp scribe. It's also available in red.

One very useful application of an inexpensive height gage as
http://tinyurl.com/at8o7
is precise coordinate layout of sheetmetal. They have a carbide
scribe. Spray the metal with layout stuff, let dry. Have one
square corner on the stock. Dial in and scribe the various X coords,
then rotate the stock and dial in the various Y coords. You need a
flat surface, as perhaps the top of a table saw, and an angle block to
hold the stock vertical while you're scribing lines. This process
is both far faster and far more accurate than use of a scale (ruler)
and scribe.

ATP*

"Ignoramus14408" wrote in message
I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

Depends on why you are marking it. For more precise marks, paint it with
dykem blue dye and scribe it. For more visible marks, paint pen, etc..

woodworker88

Soapstone sticks and holders are used to mark welds--they don't
dissapear even with the heat of welding. I know some people who use
them for everything. My personal preference is for those enormous
sharpies, as well as the ultra-thin ones for marking rough hole
locations.