Gunner Asch

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:47:02 GMT, Ignoramus1729
wrote:

Thanks. Let me explain why I want to do it.

When I weld (I am learning to weld and lay a lot of weld beads), I see
very little outside of the arc area, due to darkening lens of the
helmet. Hence, my test welds that I do on plates, wander and are not
straight. So, I want to mark a line that I could follow.

I think that I ought to give chalk a chance...

Chalk or soapstone is what you want to use. Paint will burn away
rapidly.

Soapstone holders are cheap at most welding places, $3-5 They come in
both round and rectangular cross sections. I use both

Something that also works for layout..is silver or white colored
pencils, available from common stationarly stores etc.

I was recently given a small handful and they have turned out to be
really really handy. And they sharpen to a fine point with a regular
pencil sharpener.

Gunner

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:41:00 -0400, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 04:53:28 GMT, Ignoramus14408
wrote:

I would like to know what you use for marking/writing on steel... I
know that I could use chalk, but I was looking for something like a
white felt tip pen that I saw someone using... Any one knows what they
are called, etc. Thanks

Hey Iggy,

Markal makes a "crayon" type marker called a Paint-Stik, for cold
marking just about anything. And while I couldn't find it in
Wholesale Tool's catalogue, I do know that there is a similar type
made that can be used either cold or HOT, as in red-hot.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry