Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Table travel specs

Hello all,

Dumb question: is there anything special about the way table travel
numbers are measured?

I ask because in dimensioning a drawing, I noticed that some of the
numbers were getting a little large for my mill. Looking in the manual,
I was perhaps going to have to change something; it listed 16-1/8
inches. That sounded short to me, and I in fact measure it somewhere
over 19 inches. By that I mean crank it pretty much all the way to one
side, then all the way to the other and note the distance between the
spots under the spindle. An HF manual for "the same machine" shows a
travel just over 19 inches, which matches my experience.

Is the 16+ inch number more honest, or is it just wrong?

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:41:38 GMT, Bill Schwab wrote:

Hello all,

Dumb question: is there anything special about the way table travel
numbers are measured?

I ask because in dimensioning a drawing, I noticed that some of the
numbers were getting a little large for my mill. Looking in the manual,
I was perhaps going to have to change something; it listed 16-1/8
inches. That sounded short to me, and I in fact measure it somewhere
over 19 inches. By that I mean crank it pretty much all the way to one
side, then all the way to the other and note the distance between the
spots under the spindle. An HF manual for "the same machine" shows a
travel just over 19 inches, which matches my experience.

Is the 16+ inch number more honest, or is it just wrong?

Bill

It might relate to the travel that you get with a power feed attached to the
table... these have a tendency to gobble up a couple of inches of movement.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:22:50 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

[...]

Or written by someone unfamiliar with this form of numbers who doesn't
recognize that 6 and 9 are different numbers denoting different
quantities.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Mark,

Is the 16+ inch number more honest, or is it just wrong?

It might relate to the travel that you get with a power feed attached to the
table... these have a tendency to gobble up a couple of inches of movement.

Good point - the 19+ is with the feed. The absense of "whatever you do,
don't push it that far" replies is encouraging. Thanks!

Bill