Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

Default Table travel specs

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:41:38 GMT, Bill Schwab wrote:

Hello all,

Dumb question: is there anything special about the way table travel
numbers are measured?

I ask because in dimensioning a drawing, I noticed that some of the
numbers were getting a little large for my mill. Looking in the manual,
I was perhaps going to have to change something; it listed 16-1/8
inches. That sounded short to me, and I in fact measure it somewhere
over 19 inches. By that I mean crank it pretty much all the way to one
side, then all the way to the other and note the distance between the
spots under the spindle. An HF manual for "the same machine" shows a
travel just over 19 inches, which matches my experience.

Is the 16+ inch number more honest, or is it just wrong?

Bill

It might relate to the travel that you get with a power feed attached to the
table... these have a tendency to gobble up a couple of inches of movement.

Mark Rand
RTFM