Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

I'm building a woodworking drum sander (ShopNotes Vol 15, Issue 86)
which calls for a 24" long 3/4" steel rod for the drum arbor. The rod
needs drilling and a flat for the pulley set screw. I looked at zinc
coated steel rod (about $6 per 3' ) and water quenched drill rod (about
$27 per 3' len) at OSH. There will not be significant weight applied,
just torsion stress from sanding across 16 inches surface. I suspect
the drill rod is overkill for this but would like to hear from you
experts. Also, will I have a much harder time cutting, drilling, and
grinding the drill rod? Would smaller diameter drill rod do the same
job as 3/4" mild steel? Thx.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Drill rod would be overkill and unecessarily expensive.
Cold rolled steel would be the material of choice here.

Ken.

Ken: I think you may have missed an important feature of the drill rod.
Cold rolled and plated steel has a pretty broad diameter tolerance and
may be very difficult to fit into bearings. The drill rod will be
tighter tolerance but probably .001-.002 oversize. What this fellow
needs is a short piece of C1065 TPG (turned, polished & ground)
available from many metal supply houses. Very stuff, very straight and
right on the correct diameter. Leigh @ MarMachine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The stiffness is about the same for the drill rod and any other steel.
Since the stiffness varies by the cube of the diameter ( IIRC ), don't
use smaller diameter rod of any sort.

Dan

wrote:
Would smaller diameter drill rod do the same
job as 3/4" mild steel? Thx.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Get a ground one http://www.cencogrinding.com/drillblanks.html They can and do it.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member