DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/154198-mild-steel-drill-rod-24-arbor.html)

[email protected] April 20th 06 05:39 AM

mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

I'm building a woodworking drum sander (ShopNotes Vol 15, Issue 86)
which calls for a 24" long 3/4" steel rod for the drum arbor. The rod
needs drilling and a flat for the pulley set screw. I looked at zinc
coated steel rod (about $6 per 3' ) and water quenched drill rod (about
$27 per 3' len) at OSH. There will not be significant weight applied,
just torsion stress from sanding across 16 inches surface. I suspect
the drill rod is overkill for this but would like to hear from you
experts. Also, will I have a much harder time cutting, drilling, and
grinding the drill rod? Would smaller diameter drill rod do the same
job as 3/4" mild steel? Thx.

Ken Davey April 20th 06 06:22 AM

wrote:
I'm building a woodworking drum sander (ShopNotes Vol 15, Issue 86)
which calls for a 24" long 3/4" steel rod for the drum arbor. The rod
needs drilling and a flat for the pulley set screw. I looked at zinc
coated steel rod (about $6 per 3' ) and water quenched drill rod
(about $27 per 3' len) at OSH. There will not be significant weight
applied, just torsion stress from sanding across 16 inches surface. I
suspect the drill rod is overkill for this but would like to hear
from you experts. Also, will I have a much harder time cutting,
drilling, and grinding the drill rod? Would smaller diameter drill
rod do the same job as 3/4" mild steel? Thx.

Drill rod would be overkill and unecessarily expensive.
Cold rolled steel would be the material of choice here.

Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

[email protected] April 23rd 06 12:28 AM

mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

Drill rod would be overkill and unecessarily expensive.
Cold rolled steel would be the material of choice here.

Ken.

Ken: I think you may have missed an important feature of the drill rod.
Cold rolled and plated steel has a pretty broad diameter tolerance and
may be very difficult to fit into bearings. The drill rod will be
tighter tolerance but probably .001-.002 oversize. What this fellow
needs is a short piece of C1065 TPG (turned, polished & ground)
available from many metal supply houses. Very stuff, very straight and
right on the correct diameter. Leigh @ MarMachine

[email protected] April 23rd 06 02:33 AM

mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

The stiffness is about the same for the drill rod and any other steel.
Since the stiffness varies by the cube of the diameter ( IIRC ), don't
use smaller diameter rod of any sort.

Dan

Martin H. Eastburn April 23rd 06 02:48 AM

mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

Get a ground one http://www.cencogrinding.com/drillblanks.html They can and do it.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner April 23rd 06 08:01 AM

On 22 Apr 2006 16:28:46 -0700, wrote:

Drill rod would be overkill and unecessarily expensive.
Cold rolled steel would be the material of choice here.

Ken.

Ken: I think you may have missed an important feature of the drill rod.
Cold rolled and plated steel has a pretty broad diameter tolerance and
may be very difficult to fit into bearings. The drill rod will be
tighter tolerance but probably .001-.002 oversize. What this fellow
needs is a short piece of C1065 TPG (turned, polished & ground)
available from many metal supply houses. Very stuff, very straight and
right on the correct diameter. Leigh @ MarMachine

Listen to Leigh..he really really knows his ****.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Ken Davey April 23rd 06 09:22 AM

Gunner wrote:
On 22 Apr 2006 16:28:46 -0700, wrote:

Drill rod would be overkill and unecessarily expensive.
Cold rolled steel would be the material of choice here.

Ken.

Ken: I think you may have missed an important feature of the drill
rod. Cold rolled and plated steel has a pretty broad diameter
tolerance and may be very difficult to fit into bearings. The drill
rod will be tighter tolerance but probably .001-.002 oversize. What
this fellow needs is a short piece of C1065 TPG (turned, polished &
ground) available from many metal supply houses. Very stuff, very
straight and right on the correct diameter. Leigh @ MarMachine

Listen to Leigh..he really really knows his ****.

Gunner

He sure does.
I tend to be cheap and cold rolled has been good to me even onto fitting
bearings - but ,to be sure, precision shafting would be the best choice.

Ken.