Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Default mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

Gunner wrote:
On 22 Apr 2006 16:28:46 -0700, wrote:

Drill rod would be overkill and unecessarily expensive.
Cold rolled steel would be the material of choice here.

Ken.

Ken: I think you may have missed an important feature of the drill
rod. Cold rolled and plated steel has a pretty broad diameter
tolerance and may be very difficult to fit into bearings. The drill
rod will be tighter tolerance but probably .001-.002 oversize. What
this fellow needs is a short piece of C1065 TPG (turned, polished &
ground) available from many metal supply houses. Very stuff, very
straight and right on the correct diameter. Leigh @ MarMachine

Listen to Leigh..he really really knows his ****.

Gunner

He sure does.
I tend to be cheap and cold rolled has been good to me even onto fitting
bearings - but ,to be sure, precision shafting would be the best choice.

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm