Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mild steel or drill rod for 24" arbor

I'm building a woodworking drum sander (ShopNotes Vol 15, Issue 86)
which calls for a 24" long 3/4" steel rod for the drum arbor. The rod
needs drilling and a flat for the pulley set screw. I looked at zinc
coated steel rod (about $6 per 3' ) and water quenched drill rod (about
$27 per 3' len) at OSH. There will not be significant weight applied,
just torsion stress from sanding across 16 inches surface. I suspect
the drill rod is overkill for this but would like to hear from you
experts. Also, will I have a much harder time cutting, drilling, and
grinding the drill rod? Would smaller diameter drill rod do the same
job as 3/4" mild steel? Thx.