Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary A. Gorgen

Default Bubble Flare

Bubble Fla

I think this is what I want, but I'm not sure.
I need to put some kind of flare/bulge, on the end of
..375 x .035 6061-T6 tube. So I can attach a 3/8" vinyl
tube, using ear-clamps or crimp ferules ( if I can get
a crimping tool into the space ). This will be used
at 50-psi Max.

All of the bubble-flare tools I've found are metric.
I've found kits that will do single/double flare,
GM fuel line, & ISO bubble.

From looking at the tiny pictures I've seen, a bubble
flare, looks like a double flare without the final plunge.

What I want may not be called bubble-flare, which is why I
can't find it. I've seen this type of flare on air-conditioning
lines & oil coolers.

I'm also thinking I may need to anneal the tube to prevent
cracking.

Thanks in advance, for any words of wisdom.

Gary,

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

"Gary A. Gorgen" wrote in message
. ..
Bubble Fla

I think this is what I want, but I'm not sure.
I need to put some kind of flare/bulge, on the end of
.375 x .035 6061-T6 tube. So I can attach a 3/8" vinyl
tube, using ear-clamps or crimp ferules ( if I can get
a crimping tool into the space ). This will be used
at 50-psi Max.

All of the bubble-flare tools I've found are metric.
I've found kits that will do single/double flare,
GM fuel line, & ISO bubble.

From looking at the tiny pictures I've seen, a bubble
flare, looks like a double flare without the final plunge.

What I want may not be called bubble-flare, which is why I
can't find it. I've seen this type of flare on air-conditioning
lines & oil coolers.

I'm also thinking I may need to anneal the tube to prevent
cracking.

Thanks in advance, for any words of wisdom.

Had a tool to do that in the aircraft maintenance shop, but it's been a few
years and I don't remember what it's called! Kind of like a tubing cutter
in reverse. Outside set of rollers with a
center groove, little roller that went inside the tube and pushed out the
bead.

"Tubing beader"??

Any A&P mechanics here that know the proper name?

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary A. Gorgen

Bill Marrs wrote:

snip

Had a tool to do that in the aircraft maintenance shop, but it's been a few
years and I don't remember what it's called! Kind of like a tubing cutter
in reverse. Outside set of rollers with a
center groove, little roller that went inside the tube and pushed out the
bead.

"Tubing beader"??

Any A&P mechanics here that know the proper name?

Bill

Actually, I am a A&P mechanic. :-)
I now remember that tool. Been 40 years since I've seen one.

"Tubing beader" is it. THANKS!!
First hit on Google, turned up a neat tool.

Thanks again, gary

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you want to cheat, and its OK to have the bubble at the very end,
you can use a standard brake-flare tool and only do the 1st operation
(the one that creates the bubble).

PS you can also use this method to create bubble flares with a standard
brake-flare tool. After you make the bubble, you run the cone down just
a skosh to flatten the 1st part of the bubble (the part closest to the
end).

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Gary A. Gorgen :
Bubble Fla

I think this is what I want, but I'm not sure.
I need to put some kind of flare/bulge, on the end of
.375 x .035 6061-T6 tube. So I can attach a 3/8" vinyl
tube, using ear-clamps or crimp ferules ( if I can get
a crimping tool into the space ). This will be used
at 50-psi Max.

All of the bubble-flare tools I've found are metric.
I've found kits that will do single/double flare,
GM fuel line, & ISO bubble.

From looking at the tiny pictures I've seen, a bubble
flare, looks like a double flare without the final plunge.

So -- try a double flare tool, and don't complete the plunge.
That might do it.

I don't know what the other followups may say, as they appear to
not be visible on the news server which I am using.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564