Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collets: Incremental Work Holding

I have a set of 5C collets that are from 1/16" to 1-1/16" at every
1/32nd. I'm considering getting the "in between" sizes, effectively
giving me all collets at 1/64th Increments.

Now I really don't have a specific *need* for them, but since they are
made... I was curious as to what the need for having a "high
resolution" set(for lack of a better term)..

Does anyone here actually benefit from having all of them? I'd be
interesting in knowing what kind of precision work requires them.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Gads, if you can afford these, you can afford to shoot me a check
for ten grand or so, heh. My advice: don't bother buying one until you need
it. Get a couple of machinable blank 5-Cs if you must, but that's it.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Concave, convex, con
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : carne: all is Zen..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88

I find that collets provide a good quality control device for me.
Frequently I will machine a section of a shaft and then part off and
flip the part around and machine the other end. This requires that I
hold the machined part in the collet that matches its machined
diameter. these are typically standard sized collets, but gripping on
a machined rather than stock diameter. If the correct sized collet (ie
the size of the spec'd shaft) does not hold the work precisely, the
piece is not to tolerance and typically is scrapped. These are
relatively simple parts but with many people of different skill levels
performing the machining, if the collets don't hold I assume the part
is worthless.

Woodworker88
Student Machinist
Los Altos High School "Eagle Strike" Robotics Team
www.lahsrobotics.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Does anyone here actually benefit from having all of them? I'd be
interesting in knowing what kind of precision work requires them.

Just to give the other opinion, I wouldn't be without a full set by /64s.
Then you can grip anything, they will collapse that much. I hate not having
the tool I need when the job comes up. (If you don't get work you got to do
NOW, things might be different) Of course, I waited and bought at Ebay
pricing.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Sehr

I have bored many emergency collets and try to bore them about .001 under
the size of stock that I am working on.. And I do the same when I am boring
soft
chuck jaws. That lets the jaws have 6 point contact with the OD of what I am
holding. If you bore the jaws oversize you only have 3 point contact and the
don't run as true. When I needed hardend ground collets I bought the 5c
collets from Hardinge as they sell them in .001 sizes.
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
No one has mentioned what the acceptable tolerance is for collet and

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:18:35 -0700, " Jim Sehr" wrote:

I have bored many emergency collets and try to bore them about .001 under
the size of stock that I am working on.. And I do the same when I am boring
soft
chuck jaws. That lets the jaws have 6 point contact with the OD of what I am
holding. If you bore the jaws oversize you only have 3 point contact and the
don't run as true. When I needed hardend ground collets I bought the 5c
collets from Hardinge as they sell them in .001 sizes.
Jim

A full set would be something to behold G

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Mark Rand wrote:

A full set would be something to behold G

Mark Rand
RTFM

I just don't want to be anywhere near the bill for that set. Hardinge
is pretty proud of their work, as good as it is.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:23:24 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:18:35 -0700, " Jim Sehr" wrote:

I have bored many emergency collets and try to bore them about .001 under
the size of stock that I am working on.. And I do the same when I am boring
soft
chuck jaws. That lets the jaws have 6 point contact with the OD of what I am
holding. If you bore the jaws oversize you only have 3 point contact and the
don't run as true. When I needed hardend ground collets I bought the 5c
collets from Hardinge as they sell them in .001 sizes.
Jim

A full set would be something to behold G

Mark Rand
RTFM

They are..a frigging wall full of collets. Ive only seen a couple
shops with them. One of them had the full set in metric too..it was in
a different room.

And they had all the various hex/oval/square etc etc..which was a much
smaller wall full

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I guess that store bought rods are standard enough not to have to worry
about having every single size collety imaginable.

So As long as a 1" rod will fit a collet for a 1 inch rod then there
shouldn't be a problem.

I am however confused about the 5C collet dimensions. Those numbers I
mentioned for the collets I have(Outside thread 1.245 x 20 R.H., and
the inside thread 1.047 x 24 R.H) were stated by the seller. I was
about to pick up some more from a different seller when I noticed that
Machinery's Handbook gives me a different number, and a Google search
complicates things even further.

I thought that the threads(Internal and external) were standardized for
all 5C collets. Was I wrong?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

They were in prototype/engineering shops. Price was of no concern.
Buy what you need.

And they did...lol

I am however confused about the 5C collet dimensions. Those numbers I
mentioned for the collets I have(Outside thread 1.245 x 20 R.H., and
the inside thread 1.047 x 24 R.H) were stated by the seller. I was
about to pick up some more from a different seller when I noticed that
Machinery's Handbook gives me a different number, and a Google search
complicates things even further.

I thought that the threads(Internal and external) were standardized for
all 5C collets. Was I wrong?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

No..true 5c is pretty much standard.

That 1.245 sounds a bit big to me.......

http://www.dunhamtool.com/5c_collet.html#specs

http://www.loganact.com/tips/collet.htm