Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Collets: Incremental Work Holding

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:23:24 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:18:35 -0700, " Jim Sehr" wrote:

I have bored many emergency collets and try to bore them about .001 under
the size of stock that I am working on.. And I do the same when I am boring
soft
chuck jaws. That lets the jaws have 6 point contact with the OD of what I am
holding. If you bore the jaws oversize you only have 3 point contact and the
don't run as true. When I needed hardend ground collets I bought the 5c
collets from Hardinge as they sell them in .001 sizes.
Jim

A full set would be something to behold G

Mark Rand
RTFM

They are..a frigging wall full of collets. Ive only seen a couple
shops with them. One of them had the full set in metric too..it was in
a different room.

And they had all the various hex/oval/square etc etc..which was a much
smaller wall full

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist